Sophomore Taking Organic Chemistry, Multivariable Calc, Physics 2

In summary, if you are retaking a class you previously failed, you need to take it seriously and prepare for a difficult course. If you are taking one of these classes for the first time and have no previous experience in the subject, you may want to consider switching to a different course.
Mdhiggenz
Hey guys, i am a sophomore (about to be a junior in 1 month), in college majoring in Biomedical engineering and i am planning to take Organic chemistry, multivariable calculus, physics 2 and the labs. Do you think this is too much, my only concern is with organic chemistry. I originally took it fall of 2011, however I failed due to death of a family member, and a close friend 2 weeks later so my head was pretty messed up by that. So organic chemistry brings back bad memories, and i am a bit scared to take that course.

Thanks for your advice

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
if you have any doubts that you are taking on too much, and you are retaking a class that you previously failed...yes you need to lighten your workload to gaurantee yourself you will pass and sustain a good GPA as well.

School isn't going anywhere..take one of those classes out of the equation and do well in the others.

I've heard that Orgo is pretty difficult. I don't know how to gauge the difficulty of the physics class and lab, but if you did all right in Calc I and II, I wouldn't expect multivariable calc to be unreasonably hard (unless you've forgotten stuff from before). If you're worried about it, maybe switch a class out for something easier. No need to cram too hard.

Calculus 3 is cake (provided you know 1 and 2 very well). I had Organic 1, Calc 3, Differential Equations, Physics 2, and Matrix and Linear Algebra this semester, and Physics 2 required more time than the other courses. Organic 1 was in a close second. I was surprised at how long it took me to fully digest and learn all the topics in physics 2 and do the assignments and keep up with the lab work. Organic has some fun labs, but it also requires a strict schedule of study. A great deal of the course load comes from understanding the concepts, but much goes unproven and it falls back on rote memorization. It wasn't fun for me at all. If you don't remember absolutely everything from the previous chem courses you have taken, you are in for a long journey with that one.

I don't work, and I had to definitely put much more effort into this semester, and it's mostly due to Physics 2 and O-chem. But that's just my experience.

One thing to keep in mind: labs take extra time out of your day, which can add to your stress level. So even though you have ~12-14 credits of classes - that is almost 20hours of dedicated time to being in a class or lab (since each lab is actually 3-4 hours). This can compound any time issues you may have since it averages out to an extra hour a day, and creates some days where you could easilly be in class/lab for 6-8 hours which can be taxing. I would look at your schedule more specifically - if the classes and labs are spaced out enough to not be an issue, then i'd say go with it. If you have a few very full days, then I'd think hard about the actual scheduling of your classes and how easy it will be to find time to do the necessary studing on your 'packed' days.

Related to Sophomore Taking Organic Chemistry, Multivariable Calc, Physics 2

1. What is the typical workload for a sophomore taking Organic Chemistry, Multivariable Calc, and Physics 2?

The workload for these three courses can vary depending on the specific university and professor. However, on average, students can expect to spend around 10-15 hours per week on each course. This includes attending lectures, studying, completing assignments, and preparing for exams.

2. Is it common for sophomores to take such advanced science courses?

Yes, it is becoming increasingly common for sophomores to take advanced science courses like Organic Chemistry, Multivariable Calc, and Physics 2. Many universities offer accelerated programs or allow students to take courses outside of their designated year if they have the necessary prerequisites and academic readiness.

3. What are the key differences between Organic Chemistry, Multivariable Calc, and Physics 2?

Organic Chemistry focuses on the study of carbon-based compounds and their properties, reactions, and synthesis. Multivariable Calc deals with the study of functions of multiple variables, including partial derivatives, multiple integrals, and vector calculus. Physics 2 covers topics such as electromagnetism, optics, and thermodynamics.

4. How can I succeed in taking all three of these challenging courses at the same time?

To succeed in these courses, it is important to manage your time effectively and stay organized. Make sure to attend all lectures and take thorough notes. Practice problems regularly and seek help from professors or tutors if needed. Also, don't forget to take breaks and prioritize self-care to avoid burnout.

5. Are there any resources available to help me with these courses?

Yes, most universities offer a variety of resources for students taking challenging science courses. This may include tutoring services, study groups, academic centers, and online resources. It is also helpful to form study groups with classmates to work through difficult concepts together.