Spacetime, Geometry, Cosmology by William Lewis Burke

In summary, Spacetime, Geometry, Cosmology by William Lewis Burke is a book that is well written, full of wisdom, and contains many ideas and viewpoints that are not generally known. It is a great introductory physics book that teaches one the basics of tensors and the concept of a smooth manifold. The book also has a good selection of homework problems.

For those who have used this book

• Lightly Recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lightly don't Recommend

• Strongly don't Recommend

• Total voters
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a truly 'modern' theoretical physics book, well written, and full of wisdom. It contains may ideas and viewpoints that are not generally known; for example, the fact that force is naturally a 1-form, and the geometric meaning of the canonical momenta of Hamiltonian mechanics. Introductory physics textbooks have a long way to catch up with how modern physicists think, and this is one of those books that does things right. The book treats special relativity, general relativity, cosmology and also the mathematics of the calculus on manifolds. I know of no better place to really understand what tangent vectors and 1-forms are, and the basic ideas of tensors and the the concept of a smooth manifold. It teaches one to think correctly about concepts which are not treated correctly by older books. One can gain a good facility with calculus on manifolds by working through this book.

This is a good book that helped me sort out some foundational issues I hadn't understood properly, such as the distinction between the affine-geometry notion of vectors and duals and the metric-geometry notion of inner products. It's a bit dry and mathematical, but there are many figures and examples. Burke isn't what I would call a lively writer, but he has a workmanlike style and his own interesting voice and point of view. He doesn't seem to have anything to say about the tensor notations I like best (abstract index and birdtracks/Penrose graphical), only presenting index-free and coordinate-based index notation. It's obviously a little silly to be learning cosmology from a book written in 1980. There is a good selection of homework problems; I haven't worked any of them yet, so I can't say anything about their quality.

Related to Spacetime, Geometry, Cosmology by William Lewis Burke

1. What is spacetime?

Spacetime is a concept that combines three-dimensional space and time into a four-dimensional continuum. It is a fundamental concept in the theory of relativity, where it is described as a fabric that is affected by the presence of mass and energy.

2. How does geometry relate to spacetime?

Geometry plays a crucial role in understanding the structure of spacetime. The theory of relativity uses a non-Euclidean geometry to describe the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy. This curvature is what we perceive as gravity.

3. What is the connection between spacetime and cosmology?

Cosmology is the study of the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe. Spacetime is a key component in understanding the universe as it is the fabric in which all matter and energy exist. The theory of relativity is used to explain the large-scale structure of the universe and how it has evolved over time.

4. What are the implications of the theory of relativity on our understanding of spacetime?

The theory of relativity revolutionized our understanding of spacetime. It showed that space and time are not absolute, but are relative to the observer's frame of reference. It also introduced the concept of spacetime curvature and how it is affected by mass and energy, leading to a new understanding of gravity.

5. How does the study of spacetime inform our understanding of the universe?

The study of spacetime has greatly contributed to our understanding of the universe. It has helped us explain the behavior of celestial bodies, the structure of the universe, and the nature of gravity. It has also led to the development of new technologies, such as GPS, that rely on our understanding of spacetime to function accurately.