Speed of ball on pendulum with Mechanical Energy

VaitVhat52
Homework Statement
A pendulum consists of a small object of mass m fastened to the end of an inextensible cord of length L. Initially, the pendulum is drawn aside through an angle of 60° with the vertical and held by a horizontal string as shown in the diagram (Attached). This string is burned so that the pendulum is released to swing to and fro.
Relevant Equations
Gravitational Potential Energy = mgh
Kinetic Energy = 1/2mv^2
Screenshot 2023-12-10 162321.png

0.jpg

Started by analyzing the change in energy from the initial position to the final position which gives us mgh=1/2mv^2
Since we are trying to find speed, we rearrange the equation to solve for v, which gives us √2gL.

My question is, do we need to take a component of L for √2gL because it is at an angle or is it just L since that is the height at the final position?

Physics news on Phys.org
VaitVhat52 said:
Homework Statement: A pendulum consists of a small object of mass m fastened to the end of an inextensible cord of length L. Initially, the pendulum is drawn aside through an angle of 60° with the vertical and held by a horizontal string as shown in the diagram (Attached). This string is burned so that the pendulum is released to swing to and fro.
Relevant Equations: Gravitational Potential Energy = mgh
Kinetic Energy = 1/2mv^2

View attachment 337046

View attachment 337051

Started by analyzing the change in energy from the initial position to the final position which gives us mgh=1/2mv^2
Since we are trying to find speed, we rearrange the equation to solve for v, which gives us √2gL.

My question is, do we need to take a component of L for √2gL because it is at an angle or is it just L since that is the height at the final position?
Gravitational PE depends on the height difference. Does the object start at height ##l## above the lowest point?

A foolproof statement of energy conservation is in terms of changes in kinetic and potential energy, $$\Delta K+\Delta U=0.$$ Here ##\Delta K = (\frac{1}{2}mv^2-0)## and ##\Delta U= mg(\text{(Final height)-(Initial height)}.## You can now answer you own question, although I see that @PeroK has already done so.

PeroK said:
Gravitational PE depends on the height difference. Does the object start at height ##l## above the lowest point?
No, it starts at the as high as the vertical component of L.
Would that then make it √2g(L-LCosθ) or am I missing something?

VaitVhat52 said:
No, it starts at the as high as the vertical component of L.
Would that then make it √2g(L-LCosθ) or am I missing something?
You're still missing something. Check your trigonometry. Which I see you've just done! Well spotted.

PS that expression ##L(1 - \cos \theta)## comes up in a lot of problems. It's worth making a mental note of that.

Likes VaitVhat52
One last thing:
Since it asks for the answer in terms of ##g## and ##L##, are we allowed to have ##Cosθ## as part of the answer?

VaitVhat52 said:
One last thing:
Since it asks for the answer in terms of ##g## and ##L##, are we allowed to have ##Cosθ## as part of the answer?
Isn't the value of θ given in the diagram?

kuruman said:
Isn't the value of θ given in the diagram?
Ah that's correct.
So the final answer would be ##\sqrt{2gL(1-\frac{1}{2})}##

VaitVhat52 said:
Ah that's correct.
So the final answer would be ##\sqrt{2gL(1-\frac{1}{2})}##
which simplifies to…?