Speed up composting with mycorrhizal Fungi?

In summary, the best way to speed up composting in a hot and dry environment is to add nitrogenous materials such as protein-containing waste or fish-based fertilizer products. Adding small amounts of regular fertilizer can also help, but be careful not to add too much oxygen as it can slow down the process. Adding mycorrhizal fungi to compost may not be practical unless there are living plant roots present, as they require a host to thrive. However, adding compost to soil can help increase the growth of mycorrhizal fungi and ultimately improve crop yields.
Steven Ellet
TL;DR Summary
Speed up composting
I have successfully composted before,(for planting) but is there a way to speed it up, maybe with mycorrhizal? (I hope this is the right section) I live in a hot (35C-48 C or 95F-120F) dry environment and I know to keep it damp (not Dripping) and well mixed (add air)

Biology news on Phys.org
Addition of nitrogenous material speeds up composting - protein containing waste is one way. Fish based fertilizer products are another. You also try the addition very small amounts of regular fertilizer -- the 6-0-0 kinds of that are usually applied dissolved in water - or the blue stuff like Peters.

Excess oxygen can actually slow down anaerobic organisms that do a lot of the heavy lifting.

Only after you have eliminated these kinds of issues for yourself, consider adding organisms. If it gives you the warm fuzzies to do so.

There is way too much hype surrounding their use, IMO.

Mycorcorrhizal fungi/bacteria work with living plant roots to absorb nutrients from the soil. They are sometimes added as seed treatments to crops - example soybeans. Unless you are growing plants in your compost bins, addition of fungi is not very helpful. Consider that they generally require their living plant host roots to be present. Otherwise they usually become dormant. Not very practical IMO.

This explains the addition of compost to soils, not necessarily adding fungi to compost, and how compost helps the AM's (fungi) grow better when crops are grown there. Increases yields. Note the comment about Humic acid:

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmicb.2018.00169/full

Likes sysprog

Related to Speed up composting with mycorrhizal Fungi?

What is mycorrhizal fungi?

Mycorrhizal fungi are a type of beneficial fungi that form a symbiotic relationship with plant roots. They help plants absorb nutrients and water from the soil, resulting in healthier and faster-growing plants.

How does mycorrhizal fungi speed up composting?

Mycorrhizal fungi break down organic matter in the compost pile at a faster rate. They release enzymes that help break down tough materials, such as wood chips and leaves, into smaller pieces that can decompose more quickly. This results in a faster composting process.

Can mycorrhizal fungi be added to any type of compost?

Yes, mycorrhizal fungi can be added to any type of compost, whether it is a traditional backyard compost pile or a commercial composting system. The fungi will work to break down organic matter in any type of composting environment.

How do I add mycorrhizal fungi to my compost?

Mycorrhizal fungi can be added to compost in two ways. The first is by adding a commercial mycorrhizal fungi product, which can be purchased at most garden centers. The second is by incorporating soil from a garden that already has mycorrhizal fungi present into the compost pile.

Are there any other benefits of using mycorrhizal fungi in composting?

Yes, in addition to speeding up the composting process, mycorrhizal fungi also improve the overall quality of the compost. They increase the nutrient content and improve the structure of the compost, making it more beneficial for plants when added to the soil.