Srednicki Ch5 creation operator time dependence

In summary, the conversation discussed two questions regarding the free real scalar field theory and the amplitude of one-particle states in the interacting case. The first question clarified that the k in a(k) is a three-vector and can be transformed into an integral over space, making it time-independent. The second question discussed the justification for \left \langle p|\phi (0)|0 \right \rangle=1, which is necessary for the derivation of the LSZ formula. It was explained that this amplitude needs to be renormalized in the interacting case. The conversation also touched upon the Heisenberg picture and how it applies to the time-dependence of operators in the interacting theory. Overall, the conversation highlighted the challenges
cedricyu803
Hi folks, originally I read Peskin & Schroeder but then I realized it was too concise for me.
So I switched to Srednicki and am reading up to Chapter 5.

(referring to the textbook online edition on Srednicki's website)
Two questions:

1. In the free real scalar field theory, the creation operator given by eq. 5.2 is time-independent.
But in eq. 4.5, when [itex]\phi^{+}[/itex] evolves with time, the time evolution acts on [itex]a^{\dagger}(k)[/itex], which is time-independent, and it gets an extra phase.
I know it follows directly from the commutation relation with H0,
but it looks to me that [itex]a^{\dagger}(k)[/itex] becomes time-dependent.
Can anyone explain it?

2. Srednicki argues that [itex]\left \langle 0|\phi (0)|0 \right \rangle = 0[/itex], which makes sense to me if I consider eq. 5.15.

But for [itex]\left \langle p|\phi (x)|0 \right \rangle=e^{-ipx}\left \langle p|\phi (0)|0 \right \rangle[/itex]
I have trouble with justifying that [itex]\left \langle p|\phi (0)|0 \right \rangle=1[/itex] ensures the 1-particle state normalisation,
if I consider eq. 5.15 again, (looks like) [itex]-\partial ^2+m^2 (e^{-ipx}\left \langle p|\phi (0)|0 \right \rangle)[/itex] gives me zero.

What's wrong with this logic and what should be the correct one?

Reading a QFT book alone is never easy... #sigh#
hope I can finish this book before the next June.

Thanks for your generous help

Physics news on Phys.org
1. the k in a(k) is boldface, that means it is a three-vector, it can be transformed into integral over space (3.21), so it is time-independent

the integral and the exponential in 4.5 run over a four-vector instead

2. we want it to be one, it is not automatically one for the interacting case! We have to rescale/ renormalize the field in order to have this amplitude set to one

the reason why it should be one, is because it was required so for the derivation of the LSZ formula but for which we used free fields which create one-particle states out of the vacuum with amplitude one without any field rescaling

Likes 1 person
Lapidus said:
1. the k in a(k) is boldface, that means it is a three-vector, it can be transformed into integral over space (3.21), so it is time-independent

the integral and the exponential in 4.5 run over a four-vector instead

2. we want it to be one, it is not automatically one for the interacting case! We have to rescale/ renormalize the field in order to have this amplitude set to one

the reason why it should be one, is because it was required so for the derivation of the LSZ formula but for which we used free fields which create one-particle states out of the vacuum with amplitude one without any field rescaling

1. OK now k in a(k) is the operator in the Schrodinger Picture

In [itex]\varphi^+ (x)=e^{iH_{0}t}\varphi^+ (\mathbf{x},0)e^{-iH_{0}t}=\int \widetilde{dk}e^{ikx}a(\mathbf{k})[/itex] follows from [itex] [a(\mathbf{k}),H_{0}]=\omega a(\mathbf{k})[/itex], so [itex]e^{iH_{0}t}a(\mathbf{k})e^{-iH_{0}t}[/itex] is the Heisenberg picture operator.
Now I got it. (almost forgot what I learned in QM...)

and the line above eq. 5.8 says, [itex]a^\dagger(\mathbf{k})[/itex] becomes time-dependent in the interacting theory, in contrast to the t-indp. in free field theory.
So it means that eq. 5.6 is already time-dependent, without the need of applying the Heisenberg Picture time evolution like in eq. 4.5, am I correct?

2. I understand the reason qualitatively, XXXXX but could you/ anyone show it explicitly in terms of the formulas we have in this chapter?XXXX

Ah I recalled LHS of eq. 5.18 is particle state in the momentum space. Now it makes perfect sense

Thanks very much

Last edited:

Related to Srednicki Ch5 creation operator time dependence

What is a creation operator in Srednicki Ch5?

A creation operator is a mathematical operator used in quantum field theory to create particles. It acts on the vacuum state to create a single particle state.

How does the creation operator change with time in Srednicki Ch5?

In Srednicki Ch5, the creation operator changes with time according to the Heisenberg equation of motion. This equation describes how operators evolve in time and is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics.

What is the significance of the time dependence of the creation operator in Srednicki Ch5?

The time dependence of the creation operator in Srednicki Ch5 is important because it allows us to understand how particles are created and destroyed in quantum field theory. It also plays a crucial role in calculating the scattering amplitudes of particles.

What are the limitations of the creation operator in Srednicki Ch5?

The creation operator in Srednicki Ch5 assumes that particles are point-like and do not have any internal structure. This is known as the point particle approximation and can lead to inaccuracies in certain calculations.

How does the creation operator relate to the annihilation operator in Srednicki Ch5?

The creation operator and the annihilation operator are related through the Hermitian conjugate. This means that the annihilation operator is the adjoint of the creation operator and can be obtained by taking the complex conjugate and transposing the creation operator.