Standard change of enthelpy, hess's law question

In summary, The standard change of enthalpy (ΔH°) is a measure of the heat energy released or absorbed during a chemical reaction at standard conditions (25°C and 1 atm). It is also known as the heat of reaction. The standard change of enthalpy can be calculated using Hess's Law, which states that the total enthalpy change of a reaction is independent of the pathway taken. Hess's Law is a principle in thermodynamics that states the total enthalpy change of a reaction is independent of the pathway taken, as long as the initial and final states are the same. To apply Hess's Law, the known enthalpy changes of other reactions are used to create an overall reaction that is equivalent to
gurpalc

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/lb0HL

Homework Equations

in pic

The Attempt at a Solution

So I multiplied the H2 + 1/2O2 equation by 3 and added it to the (N2H4, 2NH3) equation.

I got H2O to match up and O2 to match up, but I don't know how to manipulate the other

equations to get 4N2 to match up. Do I divide all by four? I don't know.
Please help.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
please copy and paste the question -- do not link it; I have no way of knowing whether it is a scam link.

Related to Standard change of enthelpy, hess's law question

1. What is the standard change of enthalpy?

The standard change of enthalpy (ΔH°) is a measure of the heat energy released or absorbed during a chemical reaction at standard conditions (25°C and 1 atm). It is also known as the heat of reaction.

2. How is the standard change of enthalpy calculated?

The standard change of enthalpy can be calculated using Hess's Law, which states that the total enthalpy change of a reaction is independent of the pathway taken. This means that the initial and final states are the same, regardless of the number of steps taken to get there.

3. What is Hess's Law?

Hess's Law is a principle in thermodynamics that states the total enthalpy change of a reaction is independent of the pathway taken, as long as the initial and final states are the same. This allows for the calculation of the standard change of enthalpy by combining known enthalpy changes of other reactions.

4. How is Hess's Law applied in calculating the standard change of enthalpy?

To apply Hess's Law, the known enthalpy changes of other reactions are used to create an overall reaction that is equivalent to the desired reaction. The enthalpy changes of the individual reactions are then added algebraically to determine the overall enthalpy change, which is equivalent to the standard change of enthalpy for the desired reaction.

5. What are the units of standard change of enthalpy?

The standard change of enthalpy is typically measured in kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol) or joules per mole (J/mol). These units represent the amount of heat energy released or absorbed per mole of reactant or product in the reaction at standard conditions.