Standard Deviation Conceptual [intro. Stats]

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of standard deviation and the 68-95-99.7 rule in relation to a normal distribution. The example used a bounded range of values and the possibility of values falling outside of this range. The question is raised about whether this is possible and if the three-sigma rule still applies in this case. It is concluded that a normal distribution is an approximation and may not apply to all situations perfectly.
END
Hello, PF!

[My question pertains to a non-rigorous, undergraduate introductory Probability and Statistics course. I'm no math major, so please correct me if I've mishandled any terms or concepts as I try to express myself. I'm always eager to learn!]

* * *​

In a discussion of the standard deviation of a sample in relation to the 68-95-99.7 rule, the following "conceptual" example was given—or rather, made up on the spot—by our professor:

Assume [itex]\bar{x}=50 \%[/itex] and [itex]s=20 \%[/itex] for test scores (in units of percent correct), and assume that the sample represents the normal distribution (symmetrical and bell-shaped) of a test where no test score range below [itex]0 \%[/itex] and none above [itex]100 \% [/itex] (sorry, fellas, no extra credit).

It occurred to me that any score beyond [itex]2.5 [/itex] standard deviations would be a score of more than [itex]100 \%[/itex] or less than [itex]0 \%[/itex]. According to the three-sigma rule, this would still only encompass approximately [itex]98.7\%[/itex] of the scores meaning that approximately [itex]1.3\%[/itex] of the scores fall outside this possible range.

My question:

Is the above example even possible given the "parameters" (limits?—I can't find the right word) [itex]{0 \%}≤x_i≤{100 \%}[/itex]?

And

Extrapolating this question to the overall concept, can any standard deviation [itex]s[/itex] of a normal distribution ever exceed the possible range of data points/values within that distribution?

My guess is that this was simple oversight and an error on the part of my professor.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
A random variable with a bounded range (such as 0 to 100) is not actually normally distributed. However, a normal distribution can often be used to get approximate answers to questions about such a random variable. Many problems in textbooks expect students to make such an approximation. I'd call this type of approximation a tradition, not an oversight.

Ah, bounded was the word I was looking for! Thank you, Stephen.

A random variable with a bounded range (such as 0 to 100) is not actually normally distributed.

Would the example then be considered a Truncated normal distribution ?

If this is the case, what would 2.5 or 3 standard deviations imply in relation to the three-sigma rule when the values simply cannot extend beyond the boundaries? Does the three-sigma/68-95-99.7 rule simply not apply to this (and other truncated distributions); i.e., this example would have a different set of probabilities in relation to the various standard deviations: [tex]Pr(\bar{x} - 2.5s ≤x≤ \bar{x} + 2.5s) = 1.00 \ ?[/tex]

Thank you.

END said:
Would the example then be considered a Truncated normal distribution ?

The example used the normal distribution as an approximation. If you want to make a different example, you could use a different distribution. A truncated normal distribution is but one example of what could be used.

i.e., this example would have a different set of probabilities in relation to the various standard deviations: [tex]Pr(\bar{x} - 2.5s ≤x≤ \bar{x} + 2.5s) = 1.00 \ ?[/tex]

In general, a truncated normal distribution would have a different set of probability values for such an interval than a non-truncated normal distribution. (Keep in mind that a truncated normal distribution has a different "s" than the normal distribution that was truncated.)

There is no such thing as a normal distribution in the real world. It is a mathematical ideal. Quite often there are deviations in the tails. Often it is close enough for jazz.

Related to Standard Deviation Conceptual [intro. Stats]

What is standard deviation?

Standard deviation is a measure of how spread out a set of data is from its mean (average). It is calculated by finding the square root of the variance, which is the sum of the squared differences between each data point and the mean.

How is standard deviation different from mean?

Mean is a measure of central tendency, or the average of a set of data. Standard deviation, on the other hand, measures the spread or variability of the data from the mean.

Why is standard deviation important in statistics?

Standard deviation is important in statistics because it allows us to understand the variability of a data set and how closely the data points are clustered around the mean. It is also used to calculate confidence intervals and determine the significance of results in hypothesis testing.

How is standard deviation affected by outliers?

Outliers, or extreme values, can greatly affect the value of standard deviation. If there are significant outliers in a data set, the standard deviation will be larger than if the data were more evenly distributed around the mean.

Can standard deviation be negative?

No, standard deviation cannot be negative. It is always a positive value or zero, indicating that all data points are equal.