Standard Solar Model: Learn About Its Complexity

In summary, the author is looking for a good book or source of information about solar models, but he is only finding compact stars material. He recommends the book "An Introduction to the Study of Stellar Structure" by Chandrasekhar as a good starting point. There are a number of free references available on the internet that should keep you occupied for awhile.
Leonardo Machado
Hi everyone.
I'm looking for a good book or some good source of informations about the stantard solar models, but i can only find compact stars stuff. Do you guys have any sugestions ?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
My only star book is "An introduction to the Study of Stellar Structure" by Chandrasekhar. It's out of my depths in places, but the basics are there too and are very comprehensible. It's a Dover book paperback. I suppose it's classic because that's what Dover chooses.

A great reference is the http://mesa.sourceforge.net/index.html, which has software for stellar evolution. To look at a model of the sun, click on "code capabilities" and then "Evolve a 1 Msun star". If you download the movie of the evolution, it has pretty much everything you might want to know about the conditions in the sun - temperature, pressure, composition, ... You can single step through the movie and watch the sun evolve. Model # 279, with a log(age) of 9.71 years most closely matches the condition of the sun today. I think it's interesting to note that the sun is already ~68% He4 at the center - the gas tank is down to half full!

There is a comprehensive list on the website of former JPL astrophysicist Tim Thompson. I first came across Tim as I was investigating a certain pseudoscience, and Tim is a great debunker of such. Hopefully I can link the page. It hasn't been updated in some years, but is still very relevant:
http://www.tim-thompson.com/fusion.html#note1

Check out the references at the bottom of the page, a number of which are textbooks.

Related to Standard Solar Model: Learn About Its Complexity

1. What is the Standard Solar Model?

The Standard Solar Model is a theoretical model that describes the structure and behavior of the Sun. It is based on the laws of physics and is used to understand and predict the Sun's properties, such as its energy production, temperature, and density.

2. How complex is the Standard Solar Model?

The Standard Solar Model is a highly complex and sophisticated model that involves many different physical processes such as nuclear reactions, energy transport, and convection. It also takes into account the Sun's magnetic field and rotation, making it a complex and dynamic system.

3. What is the purpose of the Standard Solar Model?

The purpose of the Standard Solar Model is to help scientists understand the Sun's internal structure, composition, and energy production. It also helps to predict future changes in the Sun's behavior and provides a basis for studying other stars and their evolution.

4. How accurate is the Standard Solar Model?

The Standard Solar Model has been extensively tested and refined over many years, and it has been shown to accurately predict many of the Sun's properties. However, there are still some discrepancies between the model's predictions and observations, which scientists continue to study and improve upon.

5. How is the Standard Solar Model used in research?

The Standard Solar Model is a crucial tool in solar and stellar research. It provides a theoretical framework for understanding the Sun's behavior, and its predictions are compared to observations from spacecraft and ground-based telescopes. This model also serves as a starting point for developing more complex models and simulations to study specific phenomena in the Sun.