Stars from outside the atmosphere

In summary, the conversation discusses the appearance of stars and the moon from outside of Earth's atmosphere. The Hubble telescope is mentioned as a reliable source for images without atmospheric interference. The atmosphere affects the light from stars, causing them to twinkle, and can also affect the colors we see in the sky. The conversation also touches on the color differences of stars in space compared to how we see them on Earth.
Pluto*
Hi Guys ..
I have a question and I hope I get a good and obvious answer PLZ ..
How do stars and moon look like from outside the Earth's atmosphere ?
If we went out of the atmosphere of the Earth , will we see the stars in the same way as we see them from .. here ?
In other words do the atmosphere affect the light coming from stars and the moon ?
Thanks ..

Astronomy news on Phys.org
See Hubble photos, it is an orbital observatory. Earth's atmosphere causes stars to twinkle. This effect also makes it difficult to achieve high resolution photographs. The Hubble does not suffer these effects.

Hi chronus , thanks for reply .
I really saw the Hubble photos , but all photos I got are processed , so that they are not exactly what we can see by our eyes !
I also heard about twinkling "Scintillation" but I'm wondering ' is it the only phenomenon that is because of the atmosphere ' ??
Thanks !

Pluto* said:
Hi chronus , thanks for reply .
I really saw the Hubble photos , but all photos I got are processed , so that they are not exactly what we can see by our eyes !
I also heard about twinkling "Scintillation" but I'm wondering ' is it the only phenomenon that is because of the atmosphere ' ??
Thanks !

The atmosphere is always in between the light that enters our eyes from outside of space! Which is why almost any light that passes though the atmosphere has the chance of being affected. All the dust/pollution also play an affect in scattering the light. The turbulence of the atmosphere refracts the light from stars in different directions - hence the twinkling. Rayleigh scattering explains the colors produced in the sky from a sunrise or sun set. There are more phenomena as you put it - from a "red moon" (increased dust or pollution in the sky can make the moon look larger and have an orange or red tinge to it) to even the color of the blue sky itself. There are numerous resources on the web that explain all these different effects our atmosphere has on the light that enters it.

Except for the relatively minor issue of twinkling, they wouldn't look much different. Though without light pollution, you'd see more of them.

Even earthbound astrophotographers rely on image processing. The Hubble has the advantage of not having to compensate for atmospheric effects. It is a fantastic instrument and well worth the expense.

so I guess from your replies that the sky also looks beautiful in the outer space :)
Thank you all ..

One other thing (besides the lack of twinkling, lack of haze, lack of light pollution, etc). The stars would have a somewhat bluish tint to them compared to how we're used to seeing them on Earth (Heisenberg might might have alluded to this in post# 4, but didn't directly state it).

The Sun, instead of having a yellow color, would instead appear significantly closer to white. Other stars would follow suit, appearing a little more bluish.

This difference is because the atmosphere scatters blue light much more than other colors -- it is the very reason the daytime sky is blue. But don't forget it is the (mostly) same reason why the sun is yellow. The major reason that we perceive the sun as yellow instead of white is because much of the blue part of the spectral energy is scattered in other directions, leaving a yellowish light we see from its location.

The same basic idea applies to stars. Stars that appear white on Earth would appear a little bit bluish in space; and yellow stars would appear more white. :cool:

Related to Stars from outside the atmosphere

What are stars from outside the atmosphere?

Stars from outside the atmosphere refer to celestial bodies that can be observed from Earth's atmosphere but are located outside of it. These can include stars, planets, galaxies, and other objects in outer space.

How are stars from outside the atmosphere formed?

Stars from outside the atmosphere are formed through the process of stellar evolution. This involves the collapse of a cloud of gas and dust, leading to the formation of a protostar. As the protostar grows in size and temperature, nuclear fusion begins and a star is born.

How do we observe stars from outside the atmosphere?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to observe stars from outside the atmosphere. These include telescopes, satellites, and other instruments that can detect different wavelengths of light and other forms of radiation.

What can we learn from studying stars from outside the atmosphere?

Studying stars from outside the atmosphere can provide valuable insights into the formation and evolution of our universe. It can also help us understand the properties of different types of stars and their impact on the surrounding environment.

Are stars from outside the atmosphere constantly changing?

Yes, stars from outside the atmosphere are constantly changing and evolving. They undergo various stages of development, from formation to death, and can also experience changes in their characteristics such as brightness, temperature, and size.