Static Electricity, Spheres question

In summary, two isolated conducting spheres, initially neutral, have 2mC of charge moved from one to the other. This results in one sphere having a positive charge with 2mC more protons and the other having a negative charge with 2mC more electrons. The charge difference between the spheres is 2mC. The force between the spheres, if the centers are 1.3m apart, is calculated using the electric force equation and results in a force of 2.13 * 10^22N. "mC" refers to milliCoulomb.
vaironl

Homework Statement

Suppose you have two isolated conducting spheres that are both neutral. You move 2mC of charge from one to the other.

a. What is the charge now on each sphere?
My solution: One sphere is positively charged with 2mC more protons, while the other is negatively charged with 2mC more electrons.
Comments: What is mC? I know C is the SI unit of charge but I cannot find mC.
megaCoulomb?

b. What is the charge difference between them?
My solution: 2mC

c. What is the force between the spheres, if the centers of the spheres are 1.3m apart?
Relevant information: [itex]\frac{k*q1*q2}{d^2}[/itex]

k= 8.99 * 109Nm2/C2
Solution: Felectric = [itex]\frac{(8.99*10^9)(2*10^6C)^2}{1.3^2}[/itex]
= 2.13 * 1022N

Physics news on Phys.org
hi vaironl! :smile:

("m" is always "milli-'', as in mg, mm, or ms :wink:)
vaironl said:
Suppose you have two isolated conducting spheres that are both neutral. You move 2mC of charge from one to the other.

b. What is the charge difference between them?
My solution: 2mC

suppose you have two plates each with equal numbrs of apples and pears

you move two apples from one plate to the other … :smile:

Related to Static Electricity, Spheres question

1. What is static electricity?

Static electricity is a type of electrical charge that accumulates on the surface of an object and remains there until it is discharged. It occurs when there is an imbalance of positive and negative charges on an object, causing an electric field to form.

2. How is static electricity different from current electricity?

Static electricity and current electricity are both forms of electricity, but they differ in how the charges move. Static electricity involves stationary charges on the surface of an object, while current electricity involves the flow of charges through a conductor.

3. How does static electricity build up on objects?

Static electricity is caused by the transfer of electrons between two objects. When objects rub against each other, electrons can be transferred from one object to another, resulting in an imbalance of charges and the buildup of static electricity.

4. Why do some objects have a stronger static charge than others?

The strength of the static charge on an object depends on several factors, including the material of the object, the surface area, and the amount of friction or contact with other objects. Some materials, like rubber or wool, are better at holding a charge than others.

5. How can I protect myself from static electricity?

To protect yourself from static electricity, you can avoid wearing clothes made of materials that easily generate static charges, avoid rubbing or shuffling your feet on carpets, and use a humidifier in dry environments to reduce static buildup. You can also discharge any built-up static by touching a grounded object, such as a metal doorknob, before touching sensitive equipment.