Statics Question Help: Determine Resultant & Inclination

• Thread starter markow202
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statics
In summary, the conversation is about a statics question involving finding the resultant of a coplanar concurrent force system. The question asks for the magnitude, sense, and angle of inclination with the X-axis using the method of components. The final answers are given as R=388lb and O=38 degrees. The method of components involves finding the sum of the x and y components, and then dividing the resultant's components by its magnitude to find the directional cosines. Alternatively, the inclination with the x-axis can be found by using the dot product of the resultant with the unit vector i.
markow202
Hi everyone,

I have a statics question I am having a bit of trouble on. I don't know how I will put the diagram in here that it comes with but the question is

"Determing the resultant of the coplanar concurrent force system shown. Compute the magnitude, sense, and angle of inclination with thr X-axis. Use the method of components."

Final Answers in back are R= 388lb
O= 38 degrees

The diagram is a X, Y diagram with the magnitudes of directions in lbs and the angles of them.

What I have been doing is Fx, Fy then doing R (squared) to give me R
and O = tan-1 to give me the angle of inclination.

Is this the "method of components" that I am doing? I am kind of lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't say I am familiar with the term that you are referring to. I would venture a guess that that is the correct method to use. It's the method I would sure use.

To be a bit more specific on your method, you would want to sum all of the x components and then sum all of the y components to give you the resultant vector. You can then divide the resultant's components by the magnitude of the resultant to give you the directional cosines and thus the inclination from both axes.

Or to find the inclination with the x-axis directly, you can also do the dot product of the resultant with the unit vector i.

[tex] \frac{\vec{R} \cdot \vec{i}}{|\vec{R}|} = \cos \theta [/tex]

That is saying the exact same thing, just not on both components of the resultant.

Related to Statics Question Help: Determine Resultant & Inclination

What is statics and why is it important?

Statics is the branch of mechanics that deals with the study of forces and their effects on objects at rest. It is important because it helps us understand how structures or objects behave under different loading conditions, and this knowledge is crucial in designing safe and stable structures.

How do you calculate the resultant of two or more forces?

To calculate the resultant of two or more forces, you need to use vector addition. This involves breaking down each force into its horizontal and vertical components, and then adding all the horizontal components together to get the horizontal component of the resultant, and adding all the vertical components together to get the vertical component of the resultant. Finally, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the magnitude of the resultant and trigonometry to determine its direction.

What is the difference between a scalar and a vector quantity?

A scalar quantity is a physical quantity that only has magnitude, such as mass or temperature, while a vector quantity has both magnitude and direction, such as force or velocity. In statics, forces are considered vector quantities because they have both magnitude and direction.

How do you determine the inclination of a force?

The inclination or angle of a force is the angle between the force vector and a reference axis. To determine this angle, you can use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, or tangent, depending on the given information. For example, if you know the horizontal and vertical components of the force, you can use the inverse tangent function to calculate the inclination.

What are some real-life applications of statics?

Statics has many practical applications in engineering and everyday life. It is used in the design and construction of buildings, bridges, and other structures, as well as in the analysis of forces acting on machines and vehicles. It also helps us understand how structures and materials respond to external forces, which is important in fields such as biomechanics and sports science.