Steady State Thermal Analysis - Simulation

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of simulating a hot forging process in LS-Dyna and the challenges of achieving steady-state temperature at the point of contact between the tool and workpiece. Factors such as thermal boundary conditions and the use of deformable elements are important to consider in order to accurately model the process. The conversation also mentions the need for proper contact between the tool and nodes with temperature boundary conditions to achieve steady-state.
shravanaumesh
TL;DR Summary
A tool contacts new hot workpiece every 10 sec. What are the factors needed in a simulation to check when the tool reaches steady state temperature?
I am simulating a hot forging process in LS-Dyna. A tool is contacting a hot workpiece for 2 sec every 10 sec (--0 sec--contact--2 sec--no contact---10 sec--) in a factory. Since this is a continuous process, the tool should, at some point, attain steady temperature. I have tried to recreate it in LS-Dyna but I get a continuously increasing curve of temperature at the point of contact at end of 10 sec every time. So I want to clarify my basic understanding of this process.
What factors are needed to be considered for steady-state thermal analysis?
Is having only tool and workpiece resulting in only increase of the tool temperature? OR Will adding the other components of the machine help the tool achieve steady-state?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Make sure that thermal boundary conditions (such as convection) are properly defined. Maybe it will take some time for the tool to reach constant temperature so you may have to increase the simulation time.

Likes shravanaumesh
Thank you for the reply.

My thermal boundary is limited to the tool having temperature of 20°C and the workpiece with 1050°C. The tool material is defined by MAT_RIGID with THERMAL_ISOTROPIC property. There is Heat Transfer Conductance defined at tool-workpiece contact. Is there any other property that is necessary that I have missed?

I have a reference of the same simulation reaching steady state in 19 cycles so I am trying to validate my model with it.

I don’t use LS-Dyna but it’s probably the same as in other software. When you use rigid bodies defined as isothermal then they have uniform temperature all the time. For this analysis I would use deformable elements with temperature DOFs and apply these temperatures as initial ones so that they can change during the analysis (temperatures prescribed as boundary conditions are kept throughout the simulation).

I checked my model and you are right. The nodes with temperature boundary conditions were not in contact with the tool. Hence there was continuous increase in the tool. I have rectified the problem.
Thank you for your help!

Related to Steady State Thermal Analysis - Simulation

1. What is steady state thermal analysis?

Steady state thermal analysis is a simulation technique used to predict the temperature distribution and heat transfer within a system or component. It involves modeling the thermal behavior of a system under steady state conditions, where the temperature and heat flux remain constant over time.

2. What are the benefits of using steady state thermal analysis?

Steady state thermal analysis allows engineers to evaluate the thermal performance of a system without having to wait for it to reach steady state in real life. It also helps identify potential hot spots and areas of heat concentration, allowing for design improvements to be made before the system is built.

3. What types of systems can be analyzed using steady state thermal analysis?

Steady state thermal analysis can be used to analyze a wide range of systems, including electronic devices, engines, buildings, and industrial processes. It is particularly useful for systems that operate at steady state conditions, such as continuous manufacturing processes.

4. How is steady state thermal analysis performed?

To perform steady state thermal analysis, a computer simulation is created using specialized software. The simulation takes into account the material properties, geometry, and boundary conditions of the system being analyzed. The software then solves the equations governing heat transfer to predict the temperature distribution within the system.

5. What are the limitations of steady state thermal analysis?

Steady state thermal analysis assumes that the temperature and heat flux remain constant over time, which may not be the case in real-world situations. It also does not account for transient effects, such as start-up or shut-down processes, which may significantly affect the thermal behavior of a system. Additionally, accurate simulation results require precise input data, so the quality of the analysis is highly dependent on the accuracy of the input parameters.