Step response of a first order system

In summary, the unit step response of the transfer function for part a) is c(t) = 1 - e^-4t and for part b) it is c(t) = 2[1 - e^-5t]. The form for part b) was slightly different, but by taking out a factor of 2, the correct answer was obtained. This is because the Laplace transform is a linear operation, meaning that a constant multiple of a function will have the same Laplace transform as the original function multiplied by that constant.
VinnyCee

Homework Statement

Find the unit step response of the transfer function...

a) [tex]G(s)\,=\,\frac{4}{s\,+\,4}[/tex]

b) [tex]G(s)\,=\,\frac{2}{0.2s\,+\,1}[/tex]

Homework Equations

General first order step response equation...

[tex]C(s)\,=\,R(s)\,G(s)\,=\,\frac{a}{s(s\,+\,a)}[/tex], where [tex]R(s)\,=\,\frac{1}{s}[/tex]

then do an inverse Laplace transform...

[tex]c(t)\,=\,1\,-\,e^{-at}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Part a) is simple enough. I just plugged into formula above and got [tex]c(t)\,=\,1\,-\,e^{-4t}[/tex]

However, part b) is where I am confused. To get the G(s) into the form needed (i.e. ~ [itex]\frac{a}{s\,+\,a}[/itex]), I divided both the numerator and denominator by 0.2...

[tex]G(s)\,=\,\frac{2}{0.2s\,+\,1}\,=\,\frac{10}{s\,+\,5}\,=\,2\left(\frac{5}{s\,+\,5}\right)[/tex]

But now the form is not exactly as needed in the first order system equations. What do I do?

I tried taking out a 2 from the numerator, and got an answer, just not sure if it's right though.

Is this right for part b)...

[tex]c(t)\,=\,2\,\left[1\,-\,e^{-5t}\right][/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's right, remember that the Laplace transform is a linear operation. If f(t) has a Laplace transform of F(s), then a*f(t) has a Laplace transform of a*F(s). Assuming "a" is a scalar quantity. The same linearity is true for inverse Laplace transforms.

Related to Step response of a first order system

What is a first order system?

A first order system is a mathematical model used to describe the behavior of a system in response to an input. It is characterized by a single differential equation and is often used to model physical systems such as electrical circuits, chemical reactions, and mechanical systems.

What is step response?

Step response is the behavior of a system when it is subjected to a sudden change in input or "step" function. It is a measure of how quickly the system reaches a steady state after the change in input.

What factors affect the step response of a first order system?

The step response of a first order system is affected by the time constant, gain, and initial conditions of the system. The time constant is a measure of how quickly the system responds to a change in input, while the gain represents the amplification of the input signal. The initial conditions, such as the initial value of the output, also play a role in the step response.

How is the step response of a first order system calculated?

The step response of a first order system can be calculated using the transfer function, which is a mathematical representation of the system's input-output relationship. The step response can also be calculated using differential equations and Laplace transforms.

What are some applications of first order systems in real life?

First order systems are commonly used in engineering and physics to model and control various physical systems. They are also used in biology and ecology to model population growth and decay. Additionally, first order systems are used in electronics to design circuits and in economics to model economic systems.