Stepper motor stepping uniformity

In summary, the conversation discusses two different stepper motors, one from a blood analyzer machine and the other from a local store. The specs for both motors are similar, with 12V DC and 1.8 degree resolution, but the one from the store has a lower current capacity. The conversation also mentions that the datasheet for the store-bought motor is not available and it is assumed to be of inferior quality. The discussion then moves on to testing both motors using the same circuit, where it is noticed that the steps of the cheaper motor are not uniform. The conversation ends with a suggestion to try a second cheap stepper motor to determine if the issue lies with the particular motor being used.
StealthRay
Hello,

Recently,I got 2 stepper motors,one which was dismantled from a blood analyzer machine and the other one was bought from a local store.

The stepper motor spec from the machine is:
12V dc
1.8 degree resolution
1A

The stepper motor spec bought from the store is:
12V dc
1.8 degree resolution
500 mA

I wish I could provide more information but the datasheet is not available. The one which I got from the local store is very cheap approx 1/10 of the price from major electronic retailers.So I assume it is of inferior quality. And there is no spec available from the store too.

The other one was dismantled from an expensive analyzer machine.So i guess it is of good quality.

Now I tested both stepper motors using the same circuit (unipolar manual switch tester).I notice the cheap stepper motor steps are not uniform.Some steps are bigger and some are smaller. I tested them using clockwise and counterclockwise.

For the good stepper motor, the stepping are all uniform.

I didnt measure the stepping degree but i can see very clearly the stepping degree of the cheap stepper motor are not the uniform.For example,the second step is smaller than the first step.

Can anyone explain why the cheaper stepper motor steps are not uniform?I am sure the sequence is correct and the same sequence is tested for the good stepper motor.

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
StealthRay said:
Hello,

Recently,I got 2 stepper motors,one which was dismantled from a blood analyzer machine and the other one was bought from a local store.

The stepper motor spec from the machine is:
12V dc
1.8 degree resolution
1A

The stepper motor spec bought from the store is:
12V dc
1.8 degree resolution
500 mA

I wish I could provide more information but the datasheet is not available. The one which I got from the local store is very cheap approx 1/10 of the price from major electronic retailers.So I assume it is of inferior quality. And there is no spec available from the store too.

The other one was dismantled from an expensive analyzer machine.So i guess it is of good quality.

Now I tested both stepper motors using the same circuit (unipolar manual switch tester).I notice the cheap stepper motor steps are not uniform.Some steps are bigger and some are smaller. I tested them using clockwise and counterclockwise.

For the good stepper motor, the stepping are all uniform.

I didnt measure the stepping degree but i can see very clearly the stepping degree of the cheap stepper motor are not the uniform.For example,the second step is smaller than the first step.

Can anyone explain why the cheaper stepper motor steps are not uniform?I am sure the sequence is correct and the same sequence is tested for the good stepper motor.

Thank you.

I've not come across that problem before. Any chance your simple step driver circuit is bouncing or having other issues with the one motor? Are the steps multiples of the 1.8 degree step, as if it is double- or triple-stepping sometimes?

If you just put an oscilloscope on the input leads (no driver connected), and spin the motor by hand (or better yet with a constant speed motor), do you see any difference in the output waveforms between the two motors?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepper_motor#Microstepping

There should not be any problem with the circuit because i used the same circuit to test another stepper motor which i got from the blood analyzer machine.

I am using wave drive mode,energizing 1 phase at a time in clockwise and counterclockwise sequence.

I can clearly see the stepper motor which i bought from the store (cheaper one) did not show uniform steps.For example,step 1 big step,step 2 smaller step and step 3 big step and etc.

The same circuit was used to test the stepper motor from the blood analyzer machine and it showed uniform steps.

Any clear explanation what might be the issue?Or can I just say that the cheap stepper motor is lousy?

StealthRay said:
There should not be any problem with the circuit because i used the same circuit to test another stepper motor which i got from the blood analyzer machine.

I am using wave drive mode,energizing 1 phase at a time in clockwise and counterclockwise sequence.

I can clearly see the stepper motor which i bought from the store (cheaper one) did not show uniform steps.For example,step 1 big step,step 2 smaller step and step 3 big step and etc.

The same circuit was used to test the stepper motor from the blood analyzer machine and it showed uniform steps.

Any clear explanation what might be the issue?Or can I just say that the cheap stepper motor is lousy?

I don't think you understood what I was trying to say. Are the "big" steps equal to two regular steps? If so, there could be a problem interaction between the motor and the drive circuit. Just because the drive circuit works with one motor, doesn't mean it necessarily will work with another motor of a different size.

Have you watched the motor drive signals with a multi-channel 'scope? Have you tried the turning experiment that I mentioned?

The two motors likely have the same internal construction, with differences in current capacity and bearing quality. If they both are labelled witih the same 1.8 degree per step size, they both should be able to accomplish that.

Have you tried a 2nd cheap stepper? Maybe that one you have has some internal wire shorting issues...?

Thank you for the reply.
I guess I will need to test it to find out what is the root of the problems.

Related to Stepper motor stepping uniformity

1. What is stepper motor stepping uniformity?

Stepper motor stepping uniformity refers to the consistency and accuracy of the steps taken by a stepper motor. It is an important factor in ensuring precise and smooth movement in various applications.

2. How is stepper motor stepping uniformity measured?

Stepper motor stepping uniformity is measured by calculating the difference between the desired step size and the actual step size. This is typically expressed as a percentage or a fraction.

3. What factors can affect stepper motor stepping uniformity?

There are several factors that can affect stepper motor stepping uniformity, including the quality and precision of the motor components, the accuracy of the control system, and external factors such as temperature and vibration.

4. How can stepper motor stepping uniformity be improved?

To improve stepper motor stepping uniformity, it is important to use high-quality and precise motor components, ensure proper calibration and tuning of the control system, and minimize external factors that can affect the motor's performance.

5. Why is stepper motor stepping uniformity important?

Stepper motor stepping uniformity is important because it directly affects the accuracy and precision of the motor's movement. In applications where precise positioning is critical, maintaining uniformity is essential for achieving the desired results.