Stone Houses in Earthquake Areas

In summary, it is believed that houses made of stone are not ideal for areas prone to earthquakes. This is because they are not flexible and cannot absorb force, making them more prone to brittle fracture. In contrast, buildings that are able to sway and flex are better equipped to withstand earthquakes. This is evident in countries like Japan, where flexible engineering techniques are used to build earthquake-resistant structures. Additionally, in areas like Iran where stone houses are common, earthquakes tend to cause more damage and fatalities. Overall, the key to building earthquake-resistant structures lies in flexibility and not in the material they are made of.
Silverbackman
I heard that it is bad to build a house made of stone on an area that is known for Earthquakes. Is that true? Are stones houses the worst against Earthquakes? That is what I heard, but I somewhat disagree with it.

Why would houses made of stone be bad for a house? It is heavy and cannot sway as much therefore would be better against Earthquakes, right? It would hug the foundation better than any other house and is stronger, so why would it be bad? Houses made of stone are best for hurricane, tornadoes, ect., so why can't they be best for earthquakes too? Or does it make a difference?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I'm no expert on the subject, although my college and university lectures have touched on the subject occasionally. I believe that when a large force is applied to a building, there are two movements that can occur- It can flex, or it can break. Flexibility allows force to be absorbed (relatively) harmlessly, which is why many bridges nowadays are designed to have moving parts, and sway in the wind, rather than remain unmovable. If no flexing occurs when an earthquake hits a building, it will be much more prone to brittle fracture than one that can move. This is a very simplified picture, and there are a lot more factors that contribute to building stregnth than the material they are constructed from however.

Good reply, matthyaouw.

Imagine shaking something nice and flexible (a bamboo cane, for instance) compared with shaking something more inflexible, like a long glass rod or something. The glass might have a greater tensile strength, but you only need to picture the two in your head to see the difference.

For a practical example: Iran. Even a moderate earthquake (they had one a few weeks ago) generally kills an enormous amount of people because of the way they build their houses.

It's also not the stones that are the problem, but the mortar between them that cracks and crumbles during the earthquake. :wink:

russ_watters said:
For a practical example: Iran. Even a moderate earthquake (they had one a few weeks ago) generally kills an enormous amount of people because of the way they build their houses.

You can even look at the other side. Japan has the best engineering for earthquakes. What do they use? Well, I'm not exactly sure, but I'm pretty sure they don't use any kind of stone, or at least not much of it. Mostly, they probably make their buildings able to bend easier and don't build very many decorative structures.

Chrono said:
You can even look at the other side. Japan has the best engineering for earthquakes. What do they use? Well, I'm not exactly sure, but I'm pretty sure they don't use any kind of stone, or at least not much of it. Mostly, they probably make their buildings able to bend easier and don't build very many decorative structures.

Yeah, I think you could characterize the bases to be marvels of "springs and dashpots" along with an overall compliant "skeleton".

Related to Stone Houses in Earthquake Areas

1. How do stone houses hold up in earthquakes?

Stone houses can vary in their ability to withstand earthquakes depending on the type of stone used, the construction techniques, and the location of the house. Generally, stone houses are considered to be more resistant to earthquakes than other types of construction, but they are not completely immune. The strength and stability of the house can also be affected by the foundation and surrounding soil conditions.

2. What are some common features of stone houses in earthquake areas?

In earthquake-prone areas, stone houses may have certain features that make them more resilient to seismic activity. These can include thicker walls, reinforced corners, and buttresses. Additionally, the use of flexible mortar and strategic placement of openings can help absorb and distribute the force of an earthquake.

3. Can stone houses be retrofitted to better withstand earthquakes?

Yes, it is possible to retrofit stone houses to make them more earthquake-resistant. This can include adding steel reinforcement, strengthening the roof and walls, and improving the foundation. However, the effectiveness and cost of retrofitting can vary depending on the particular house and its location.

4. Are there any disadvantages to living in a stone house in an earthquake-prone area?

While stone houses may have some advantages in earthquake-prone areas, there are also potential disadvantages to consider. Stone houses can be more expensive to build and maintain, and they may be more susceptible to damage from ground motion. They can also be heavier and more difficult to modify or repair compared to other types of construction.

5. How can homeowners prepare their stone houses for earthquakes?

Homeowners can take several steps to prepare their stone houses for earthquakes. This can include conducting regular maintenance and repairs, reinforcing weak areas, and securing heavy objects and furniture. It is also important for homeowners to have an emergency plan in place and to be familiar with local building codes and earthquake safety measures.