Stop Rain? Artificial Methods to Stop Raining

• Thread starter johncena
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rain
In summary: Beijing was 2008. Would you say that those were good years for the Olympics?I think it will be a blessing if we can stop rain during cricket matches and olympic games...:biggrin:Good for Shuttle launches and returns, too.
johncena
Can we stop raining using any artificial meathods?

Likes pkr
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
johncena said:

Why would one wish to stop raining?

Likes pkr
johncena said:

There are also special mechanical devices capable of this amazing feat:

http://www.umbrellas.com/"

Last edited by a moderator:
well jambaugh you fooled me i got all excited about some kind of mechanical cloud shifter...:approve:

well it may seem like a convenience to no longer have rain but its part of the Earth's cycle we wouldn't be here without rain and any interference, be it with dams or ...?? rain blocking..??. would disturb everything and i think we have enough problems already.

bubbaguruu said:
well jambaugh you fooled me i got all excited about some kind of mechanical cloud shifter...:approve:

well it may seem like a convenience to no longer have rain but its part of the Earth's cycle we wouldn't be here without rain and any interference, be it with dams or ...?? rain blocking..??. would disturb everything and i think we have enough problems already.

LOL, Gotchya! :wink:

Astronuc said:
Why would one wish to stop raining?

I think it will be a blessing if we can stop rain during cricket matches and olympic games...:biggrin:

Good for Shuttle launches and returns, too.

bubbaguruu said:

We wouldn't stop rain all the time, just during the days of big events. Of course we need some rain.

Regular consistent rain would be handy. Its these devastating floods and long running droughts that are problematic.

what kind of destructive question is this now..?? I mean it is appreciable if the rain is worthy to cause floods...

well, build more factories...cut down the forests... make more automobile pollution..and build more wind mills that can redirect the monsoons at the place and thereby prevents rainfall...

johncena said:
I think it will be a blessing if we can stop rain during cricket matches and olympic games...:biggrin:

Wouldn't it be ideal to check the weather and then adjust the stadium that the cricket match and Olympic games so that they can continue? In door stadiums were used in Beijing except for one of the Volley Ball matches, but some other Volley Ball matches were played in indoor stadiums.

We can stop rain from hitting us but we can't stop the rain from falling. Although what jambaugh posted was quite funny. I heard China was conducting tests to manipulate the weather or was that a dream I was having?

It is to some extent possible to prevent from falling over a certain area by "seeding" the clouds somewhere else (using aircraft to "bomb" the clouds with small particles).
It is an expensive method but it is used from time to time; the most well-known examples being the opening ceremonies of the summer olympics in Moscow 1984 and more recently in China.
Experiments have also been conducted in many other countries.

Note that this is a controversial methods and it won't work 100% of the time.

f95toli said:
It is an expensive method but it is used from time to time; the most well-known examples being the opening ceremonies of the summer olympics in Moscow 1984 and more recently in China.
Experiments have also been conducted in many other countries.

Note that this is a controversial methods and it won't work 100% of the time.

I've heard of a technique where they put dry ice into the clouds to cool it down and make it rain, so this could prevent it from raining on a particular place at a particular time, although it would still have to rain somewhere.
Moscow was in 1980. Los Angeles was 1984.

Related to Stop Rain? Artificial Methods to Stop Raining

1. How can we stop rain using artificial methods?

There are several methods that have been proposed to stop rain using artificial means, such as cloud seeding, chemical dispersants, and ionization. These methods aim to alter the structure of rain clouds or prevent rain from forming altogether.

2. Is it possible to completely stop rain?

No, it is not possible to completely stop rain using artificial methods. Rain is a natural and necessary part of the water cycle and attempts to completely stop it could have negative consequences on the environment.

3. What is cloud seeding and how does it work?

Cloud seeding is a method where substances, such as silver iodide, are dispersed into the atmosphere to encourage the formation of ice crystals in clouds. These ice crystals can then grow and fall as precipitation, potentially increasing rainfall in a specific area.

4. Are there any potential risks associated with attempting to stop rain artificially?

Yes, there are potential risks associated with artificial rain stopping methods. These methods can have unpredictable effects on the environment and may also interfere with natural rainfall patterns. Additionally, the substances used in these methods could have negative impacts on human health and the ecosystem.

5. Are there any other methods besides cloud seeding to stop rain?

Yes, there are other methods that have been proposed to stop rain, such as using chemical dispersants or ionization. However, these methods are still in the experimental stage and their effectiveness and potential risks are still being studied.