Straight Mechanical Engineering vs Dual Majors

In summary, the individual is currently studying a BEng (Mechanical) and is considering dual major options at their university, specifically in Mechanical and Aerospace or Mechatronic. They are also interested in pursuing a Masters degree in Electrical Engineering, Electricity Market, or Systems Engineering. They enjoy the mathematical and CAD aspects of their degree but struggle with materials. They are looking for intellectually challenging work in industries such as the car industry, gas and oil, aeronautical, aerospace, robotics, or defense contractors. They are seeking advice on whether double-majoring is worth the extra work and suggest talking to an academic adviser for guidance on exploring other areas without spending too much time in undergrad.
cambo86
I'm currently studying a BEng (Mechanical) and was wondering about dual major options at my university. The two other majors that I'm looking at are Mechanical and Aerospace, and Mechatronic. I'm also considering doing a Masters of in either Electrical Engineering, Electricity Market or Systems Engineering.

I'm doing well and enjoy the mathematical and CAD parts of the degree but I'm not as strong at materials. For work, I don't care about the money as long as I'm getting challenged intellectually and I'm interested in the work that I'm doing. I'm interested in the car industry, gas and oil, aeronautical (e.g. scramjets), aerospace (e.g. Space-X), robotics or defence contractors.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
When thinking about double-majoring it might be worth doing some sort of cost-benefit analysis. Adding a second major can add a LOT of extra work, and in many cases (especially when you're doing two similar degrees like two types of engineering) it's probably not going to give you enough future benefit to justify all that extra work. I'm not saying stick with purely Mechanical engineering, but you might find there's a better way to explore other areas than double-majoring. I personally settled on a minor rather than a double major because the major was way more work than the minor and would give me almost no extra benefit in the long term.

Maybe talk to an academic adviser at your school? They'll know the programs and can maybe help you figure out how to get the best bang for your buck in terms of learning the stuff you want to learn without spending a lot of time in undergrad.

Related to Straight Mechanical Engineering vs Dual Majors

1. What is the difference between straight mechanical engineering and a dual major in mechanical engineering?

Straight mechanical engineering is a degree program where students solely focus on courses related to mechanical engineering. On the other hand, a dual major in mechanical engineering means that the student is pursuing two majors, one of which is mechanical engineering, and the other may be a related field such as aerospace engineering or materials science.

2. How does a dual major in mechanical engineering benefit me?

A dual major in mechanical engineering allows students to gain a broader understanding of the field by combining it with another related subject. This can make them more competitive in the job market and give them a wider range of career opportunities to choose from.

3. Is it more challenging to pursue a dual major in mechanical engineering?

Yes, pursuing a dual major in mechanical engineering can be more challenging as it requires students to take on a heavier course load. They will need to balance coursework for two majors, which can be demanding and time-consuming. However, the benefits can outweigh the challenges for those who are passionate about both subjects.

4. Can I switch from a straight mechanical engineering major to a dual major later on?

It is possible to switch from a straight mechanical engineering major to a dual major, but it may require additional coursework and may prolong the time to graduate. It is important to consult with academic advisors to ensure that the switch is feasible and will not significantly delay graduation.

5. What are some popular dual majors paired with mechanical engineering?

Some popular dual majors paired with mechanical engineering include aerospace engineering, materials science, computer science, and business. However, students can also choose to combine mechanical engineering with other fields such as environmental science, chemistry, or physics, depending on their interests and career goals.