Stream function for double sink / source flow

Keep up the good work!In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of a source/sink in the origin of a coordinate system with two additional sources/sinks positioned along the x-axis. The limit for the distance between the sources/sinks tends to zero is considered, resulting in a finite value \mu_2. The conversation also explores the potential and velocity equations for a single source/sink in three dimensions and how they can be applied to this problem. The final potential equation is derived using the trick \frac{\partial^2 f(x,y,z)}{\partial x^2}=\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{f(x-h,y,z)-2f(x,y,z)+f(x+h,y,z)}{h
MichielM

Homework Statement

Consider a source/sink in the origin of a coordinate system with a strength equal to 2m and two sources/sinks, each with a strength of −m, i.e. with a opposite sign with respect to the source/sink in the origin. The two sources/sinks are positioned along the x-axis at x = δx and x = −δx, respectively. Consider the limit for δx → 0 under the condition that

[tex]\lim_{\delta x \rightarrow 0} \delta x^2 m = \mu_2[/tex]

with [tex]\mu_2[/tex] finite. Consider this problem in three dimensions and sketch the resulting streamline patterns. Is there a closed streamline, which does not pass through the origin.

Homework Equations

The potential [tex]\Phi_e[/tex] for a single source/sink of strength m in 3D is:
[tex]\Phi_e=-\frac{m}{4\pi r}[/tex]
[tex]\bar{u}_e=\nabla\Phi_e=-\frac{m \bar{r}}{4\pi r^3}[/tex]
with [tex]\bar{r}=\bar{x}-\bar{x}_0 [/tex] where x = (x, y, z) and [tex] r = |\bar{x}-\bar{x_0}| = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the poisson equation which leads to the potential solution above is linear, I can add the 2 sinks and 1 source together to get 1 potential:
[tex]\Phi_e=-\frac{m}{4 \pi}\left(\frac{-1}{|\bar{x}-\delta\bar{x}|}+\frac{2}{|\bar{x}|}+\frac{-1}{|\bar{x}+\delta\bar{x}|}\right)[/tex]

I have to take the limit to 0 for δx and I want to introduce [tex]\mu_2[/tex] so I take:
[tex]\Phi_e=\lim_{\delta x \rightarrow 0} -\frac{m \delta x^2}{4 \pi}\frac{1}{\delta x^2}\left(\frac{-1}{|\bar{x}-\delta\bar{x}|}+\frac{2}{|\bar{x}|}+\frac{-1}{|\bar{x}+\delta\bar{x}|}\right)[/tex]

From this point on I'm highly unsure about my method.

Taking the limit it follows that [tex]\lim_{\delta x \rightarrow 0} \delta x^2 m = \mu_2[/tex] and [tex]\frac{1}{\delta x^2}\left(\frac{-1}{|\bar{x}-\delta\bar{x}|}+\frac{2}{|\bar{x}|}+\frac{-1}{|\bar{x}+\delta\bar{x}|}\right)=\frac{\partial}{\partial x^2}\left(\frac{3}{|\bar{x}|}\right)[/tex]

So my potential becomes:
[tex]\Phi_e=\frac{\mu_2}{4\pi}\frac{\partial}{\partial x^2}\left(\frac{3}{|\bar{x}|}\right)[/tex]

From here I could proceed to calculate the velocity, but honestly I don't trust my answer enough to take the effort so I first wanted to ask whether anybody could run through my calculation and comment on any mistakes/errors!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I do not know what streamline patterns are, but I can help with the math some. I have no idea where you came up with the solution you got. But I played with it some and got a nice solution for the potential in the end, so I can only guess I did it right.

You will first want to write out [tex]|\vec{x}-\vec{\delta x}|[/tex] out in square roots.

Then you are going to want to expand your potential in a taylor series since you know [tex]\delta x[/tex] is small.

I also recommend expanding it out to 2nd order since you know you want [tex]\delta x^2[/tex] (because they give you a limit for it). That, and you will see something happen to the first order term.

Ok, I know that the source/sink are positioned on the x-axis so [tex]\delta\vec{x}=\delta x[/tex]. Then I get:

[tex]
|\vec{x}-\vec{\delta x}|=\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2+\delta x^2-2x\delta x}
[/tex]
and
[tex]
|\vec{x}+\vec{\delta x}|=\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2+\delta x^2+2x\delta x}
[/tex]

Taylor expanding the [tex]\frac{-1}{|\vec{x}+\vec{\delta x}|}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{-1}{|\vec{x}-\vec{\delta x}|}[/tex] terms yields:

[tex]
\frac{-1}{|\vec{x}-\vec{\delta x}|}=\frac{-1}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}}-\frac{x}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{3/2}}\delta x+0.5\left(\frac{1}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{3/2}}-\frac{3x^2}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{5/2}}\right)\delta x^2
[/tex]

and

[tex]
\frac{-1}{|\vec{x}+\vec{\delta x}|}=\frac{-1}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}}+\frac{x}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{3/2}}\delta x+0.5\left(\frac{1}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{3/2}}-\frac{3x^2}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{5/2}}\right)\delta x^2
[/tex]

So the [tex]\delta x[/tex] term drops out of the potential and the 0-order terms cancel out against the [tex]\frac{2}{|\vec{x}|}[/tex] term so I get:

[tex]
\Phi_e=\frac{m\delta x^2}{4\pi}\left[\frac{1}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{3/2}}-\frac{3x^2}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{5/2}}\right]
[/tex]

Taking the limit then turns [tex]m\delta x^2[/tex] into [tex]\mu_2[/tex].

The problem I have with this equation is that I expect a derivative to pop up somewhere, because that's how the solution for a 'normal' sink/source doublet(single source, single sink with infinitesimally small distance to each other) is. Take a look at this: http://web.mit.edu/fluids-modules/www/potential_flows/LecturesHTML/lec1011/node26.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
That last answer looks like the right answer except you lost a negative sign somewhere. Also thanks for the link, I know what you want now. You need to use the trick:

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 f(x,y,z)}{\partial x^2}=\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{f(x-h,y,z)-2f(x,y,z)+f(x+h,y,z)}{h^2}[/tex]

Just treat your:

[tex]f(x,y,z)=\frac{1}{|\vec{x}|}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}}[/tex]

That will give you a very similar expression to what you had originally, except you were originally off by a factor. Hope this helps. It will also give you the same answer you got in the last post (besides a negative sign) if you take the derivatives of your expression, just to check your work.

Then I get:
[tex]
\Phi_e=\frac{\mu_2}{4\pi}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}\left(\frac{1}{|\bar{x}|}\right)=\frac{\mu_2}{4\pi}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}}\right)
[/tex]

Solving the differential part yields for my potential:
[tex]

\Phi_e=-\frac{\mu_2}{4\pi}\left[\frac{1}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{3/2}}-\frac{3x^2}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{5/2}}\right]

[/tex]

Just like you said I would. Thanks! That was really helpful!

No problem. Hah, that method was easier than a taylor expansion anyways. Didn't know about that method until you showed me, so we both learned something.

Related to Stream function for double sink / source flow

1. What is a stream function for double sink/source flow?

A stream function is a mathematical function that describes the flow of a fluid in a two-dimensional plane. In the case of double sink/source flow, it represents the velocity potential of the fluid around two point sources or sinks, which are locations where fluid is either being injected (source) or removed (sink) from the system.

2. How is a stream function for double sink/source flow calculated?

The stream function for double sink/source flow is calculated using the Laplace equation, which relates the stream function to the velocity potential. It can also be derived from the Navier-Stokes equations, which describe the motion of fluids. Various mathematical methods, such as separation of variables or complex analysis, can be used to solve for the stream function.

3. What are the physical applications of using a stream function for double sink/source flow?

The stream function for double sink/source flow is commonly used in fluid dynamics to study the behavior of fluids around point sources or sinks. It is particularly useful for analyzing potential flow, which is a simplified model of fluid flow that assumes the fluid is inviscid (has no friction) and incompressible (constant density). This model is often used to study aerodynamics, hydrodynamics, and other fluid-related phenomena.

4. Can a stream function for double sink/source flow be used for more complex flows?

Yes, a stream function for double sink/source flow can be extended to more complex flows by superimposing multiple sources and sinks, or by combining it with other flow models, such as vortices or uniform flow. The resulting stream function can then be used to analyze more complex fluid flows, such as those found in boundary layer theory or in aerodynamic calculations.

5. Are there any limitations to using a stream function for double sink/source flow?

While the stream function for double sink/source flow is a useful tool for analyzing certain types of fluid flow, it has some limitations. One major limitation is that it only applies to two-dimensional flow, and cannot fully describe three-dimensional flows. Additionally, it does not take into account viscous effects or turbulence, which can significantly impact the behavior of real fluids. Therefore, it is important to use the stream function in combination with other methods and models to fully understand fluid flow in practical applications.