Strength of materials- simple truss problem

In summary, the truss has bars with a cross sectional area of 1.2in^2 and a maximum axial stress of 25ksi. Using the equations stress=force/area and strain=elongation/length, the maximum magnitude of P can be determined to be 30 kip and the elongation of each member can be found by solving for strain and using the length of each bar. However, it is unclear if all bars will have the same elongation since the direction of P in the diagram is unknown and it may be necessary to solve for the forces in each member as a function of P.
Jeff231

Homework Statement

The bars in the truss each have a cross sectional area of 1.2in^2. If the maximum axial stress in any bar is not to exceed 25ksi, determine the maximum magnitude of P of the loads that can be applied to the truss. Determine the elongation of each member.

E=29,000 ksi

4930827627_46098ef021.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]
\sigma[/tex] = E* [tex] \epsilon[/tex]

[tex]\sigma[/tex] = P/A

[tex]\epsilon[/tex] = [tex]\delta[/tex] / L

Having trouble with Latex, but the top equation should read:
sigma=E*epsilon

the other two equations are stress=force/area and strain=elongation/lenth.

The Attempt at a Solution

I got an answer, but I'm not sure if it's correct and if I'm solving this correctly.

Since I know [tex]\sigma[/tex]=25ksi, and E=29,000 ksi I used [tex]\sigma[/tex]=P/A solving for P, P= [tex]\sigma[/tex]A=(25ksi)(1.2in^2)=30 kip.

I assumed this to be Pmax.

Using [tex]\sigma[/tex]=E*epsilon I solved for epsilon. epsilon= [tex]\sigma[/tex]/E=25ksi/29000ksi = 8.62E-4.

Then used epsilon=delta/L. Solved for elongation, delta. delta=epsilon*L.

Then I just used plugged in my solved value of epsilon, and then the length of each bar.

Here's an example for AC: delta=epsilon*L=(8.62E-4)(4ft)(12in/1ft)=0.0414in.

I'm not sure if this correct since it would mean every bar that is the same length would have the same elongation. Is this correct? Or do I need to solve the system for the forces and then do something? I'm confused. Thank you for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Axial stress is generated by a force perpendicular to the cross section, what is the direction of P in the diagram ?

Can you determine the force in each member of the truss, as a function of P?

Related to Strength of materials- simple truss problem

1. What is a simple truss in the context of strength of materials?

A simple truss is a structure made up of straight members connected at their ends by frictionless hinges or pins. It is used to support loads and distribute forces in a predictable manner.

2. How do you determine the strength of a simple truss?

The strength of a simple truss can be determined by analyzing the forces acting on each member and finding the maximum load that the truss can withstand without failure. This can be done through calculations using equations such as the Method of Joints or the Method of Sections.

3. What factors affect the strength of a simple truss?

The strength of a simple truss is affected by various factors such as the material properties of the members, the size and shape of the truss, the type and location of the applied loads, and the type of connections used in the truss.

4. How do you ensure the stability of a simple truss?

To ensure the stability of a simple truss, it is important to distribute the loads evenly among the members and to ensure that the connections are strong and rigid. Additionally, the geometry of the truss must be carefully designed to prevent buckling or collapse under the applied loads.

5. What are some real-world applications of simple trusses?

Simple trusses are commonly used in bridges, roofs, and other structures where a strong and lightweight support system is needed. They can also be found in cranes, towers, and other tall structures that require a high strength-to-weight ratio.