Stress-energy tensor as source of gravity

In summary: This is a simplified explanation, but essentially the quantized electromagnetic field arises from the quantization of the four-vector potential.
maka89
Hello. This is a question for the philosophers. I know just a little bit about QT and GR, but have a solid background in QM, classical physics and some particle physics.

I was wondering about the stress energy tensor. I know that the graviton must have spin 2 because the source of gravity is a rank 2 tensor.

Now, the stress energy tensor contains properties like mass density, pressure and shear stress. These are large scale macro-properties, no? Seems like a continuum hypothesis for the mass/energy is assumed. So my question is how can one make a quantum theory of gravity while using these concepts? Seems like trying to make a quantum theory of atoms or particles using properties like bulk-modulus and mass density?

If one looks at the mass as a collection of many many single particles. Then, the contribution to the warping of space-time from each single particle shouldn't contain concepts like shear or pressure? Couldn't, in this picture, the source of gravity be a rank 1 tensor (i.e. four-momentum), and the 2nd rank only comes after we consider the effect of all these single particles?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Quantum gravity is a difficult topic, so I would suggest you to first consider a simpler but analogous question in quantum electrodynamics. The charge current is a continuous source of electromagnetic field, so how can it be compatible with a quantized electromagnetic field (photons)?

Good question! I do not know, but would love a lead. Any tips on reading for this?

Demystifier said:
Quantum gravity is a difficult topic, so I would suggest you to first consider a simpler but analogous question in quantum electrodynamics. The charge current is a continuous source of electromagnetic field, so how can it be compatible with a quantized electromagnetic field (photons)?
I would say because the charge/current four-vector can be derived from the four-vector potential, A, which can be quantized and is what we work with in QED.

Related to Stress-energy tensor as source of gravity

1. What is the stress-energy tensor?

The stress-energy tensor is a mathematical representation used in general relativity to describe the distribution of mass, energy, and momentum within a given space-time. It is a mathematical object that contains 16 components, representing the different types of energy and momentum present in a system.

2. How does the stress-energy tensor relate to gravity?

In general relativity, the stress-energy tensor is used as the source of gravity. It describes how the distribution of mass and energy in a given space-time curve the space-time itself, creating the force of gravity. This is known as the Einstein field equations.

3. Can the stress-energy tensor be used to explain other phenomena besides gravity?

Yes, the stress-energy tensor is a key concept in many areas of physics and can be used to explain a variety of phenomena. For example, it is used in the study of fluid dynamics, where it describes the flow of energy and momentum in a fluid system.

4. How is the stress-energy tensor calculated?

The stress-energy tensor is calculated using the energy-momentum tensor, which is a mathematical object that describes the flow of energy and momentum in a given system. The stress-energy tensor is then derived from this tensor by applying certain mathematical operations.

5. What are some real-world applications of the stress-energy tensor?

The stress-energy tensor is used in many areas of physics, including cosmology, astrophysics, and particle physics. It is essential in understanding the behavior of matter and energy in the universe and is used in the development of theories and models to explain various phenomena, such as the formation of galaxies and the behavior of black holes.