Suggestions or advice for engineering

In summary, the individual is a sophomore in mechanical engineering and is debating whether to retake Calc 2 and Calc 3 to improve their GPA for MECOP or focus on summer internships. They are not an A student but are considering retaking the classes for a better understanding of calculus. Another person suggests not bothering with the classes if they see themselves as a "catalog" engineer.
ME_student
Greetings,

So I am currently finishing up my Sophomore year in mechanical engineering. I am having a hard time deciding if I want to go back and retake a few classes such as Calc 2 and Calc 3 since I got C's in those classes or is it just a waste of time? Because if I retake the courses I may possibly raise the GPA so I can apply for MECOP. The university I plan on attending requires a 3.20GPA in order to apply for MECOP. I was thinking about just apply for Summer internships instead since my GPA is short of a 3.20. I am not an A student, more like a B student. Ha!

Thank you for the inputs.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you will ever regret having a better understanding of calc if you are a theoretically inclined person. On the other hand, if you see yourself eventually as a "catalog" engineer (one who designs things primarily by selecting components from a catalog), then don't bother with the calc.

OldEngr63 said:
I don't think you will ever regret having a better understanding of calc if you are a theoretically inclined person. On the other hand, if you see yourself eventually as a "catalog" engineer (one who designs things primarily by selecting components from a catalog), then don't bother with the calc.
Okay well then I probably won't even bother retaking those classes...

Related to Suggestions or advice for engineering

1. What is the most important trait for a successful engineer?

The most important trait for a successful engineer is problem-solving skills. Engineers are faced with complex problems every day, and the ability to think critically and come up with innovative solutions is crucial.

2. How do I choose the right engineering field to specialize in?

Choosing the right engineering field to specialize in depends on your interests, strengths, and career goals. Research different fields, talk to professionals in the industry, and consider your strengths and passions to make an informed decision.

3. What skills do I need to succeed in the engineering field?

Apart from technical skills, successful engineers also possess strong communication, teamwork, and time-management skills. These skills are essential for collaborating with colleagues, managing projects, and presenting ideas effectively.

4. How can I stay updated with the latest advancements in engineering?

To stay updated with the latest advancements in engineering, it is important to continuously engage in professional development activities such as attending conferences, workshops, and seminars, as well as reading industry publications and networking with other professionals.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills as an engineer?

Improving problem-solving skills as an engineer takes practice and persistence. You can start by breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts, brainstorming multiple solutions, and seeking feedback from colleagues and mentors. Additionally, continuously learning and staying curious can enhance your problem-solving abilities.