Suggestions to begin study communication and digital signal processing

In summary, the speaker is a graduate student who wants to transfer from physics to electrical engineering for a focus on communication and digital signal processing. They will be a Teaching Assistant in EE for the first year and need help choosing courses. They are asking for suggestions on which courses to TA or take first, and the other person recommends starting with courses that the speaker hasn't seen as a physics student, such as digital and analog circuit design, and also suggests picking up some probability classes for a background in communication theory. The speaker also mentions a recommended book for self-study on DSP and filters.
rickslim
Hi,I am a graduate student, want to transfer from physics to electrical engineering to study communication and digital signal processing , till now I don't know so much about that.

Next semester, I will be a Teaching Assistant in Electrical engineering for the first year.each semester I must choose at least three courses.
I don't know which courses I should begin.
Could you give me some suggestions?

Thank you very much!
:smile: :smile: :smile:

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you asking which 1st year EE courses you should try to TA in, or are you asking which upper division EE courses you should take first in pursuit of your communication/DSP EE work?

If (a), then I'd suggest TA'ing in the more physics-related EE courses, like E&M.

If (b), then I would think that you should start with the EE coursework that you haven't seen much as a Physics student -- stuff like digital and analog circuit design, etc. DSP is pretty independent of circuit design, so you can jump in and start taking those classes right away, I would think. You'll also want to pick up some probability classes soon, as background for the communication theory classes.

BTW, I really like the DSP book, "Designing Digital Filters" by Williams. It's a good self-study book, and covers DSP and filters in a very understandable and practical way. I'd recommend getting the book now to study through the summer.

Thanks for reponse!
My case is (b), I will take courese in electrical engineering

Related to Suggestions to begin study communication and digital signal processing

1. What is communication and digital signal processing (DSP)?

Communication and digital signal processing is a field that deals with the transmission and processing of information through various electronic devices and systems. It involves the use of mathematical algorithms and techniques to analyze, manipulate, and improve the quality of digital signals.

2. How can I start studying communication and DSP?

The first step to studying communication and DSP is to have a basic understanding of mathematics, physics, and programming. You can then enroll in a course or degree program in electrical engineering, computer science, or telecommunications. You can also find online resources and tutorials to learn the fundamentals of communication and DSP.

3. What are some important topics to cover in communication and DSP?

Some important topics to cover in communication and DSP include digital signal processing, analog and digital communication systems, signal analysis and filtering, modulation techniques, error control coding, and network protocols. It is also essential to have a good understanding of programming languages and software tools used in DSP.

4. What career opportunities are available in the field of communication and DSP?

There are various career opportunities in the field of communication and DSP, including telecommunications engineer, signal processing engineer, digital communication engineer, network engineer, and software developer. With the increasing demand for communication and DSP in industries such as telecommunications, healthcare, and defense, there is a high demand for professionals in this field.

5. What are some tips for success in studying communication and DSP?

To succeed in studying communication and DSP, it is essential to have a strong foundation in mathematics, programming, and problem-solving skills. It is also crucial to stay updated with the latest technologies and advancements in the field. Additionally, hands-on experience through internships or projects can help in understanding the practical applications of communication and DSP concepts.