Sum of Cosines: Find the Infinite Series

In summary, by applying the Euler's identity and summing a geometric progression, we can find the sum of the infinite series $\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{\cos(nx)}{2^n}$ to be equal to $\frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{1-\frac{e^{ix}}{2}} + \frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{1-\frac{e^{-ix}}{2}}$. The suppression of the imaginary terms from this equation is a tedious but not very difficult task.
jacobi1
Find \(\displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{\cos(nx)}{2^n}\).

Mathematics news on Phys.org
jacobi said:
[sp]
By considering the real part of \(\displaystyle \left(\frac{e^{ix}}{2}\right)^n\) and summing a GP I get \(\displaystyle \frac{4-2\cos(x)}{5-4\cos(x)}\)...I think. :p
[/sp]

jacobi said:

Applying the Euler's identity...

$\displaystyle \cos (n x) = \frac{e^{i n x} + e^{- i n x}}{2}\ (1)$

... You obtain...

$\displaystyle \sum_{n =0}^{\infty} \frac{\cos (n x)}{2^{n}} = \frac{1}{2}\ \sum_{n =0}^{\infty} (\frac{e^{i x}}{2})^{n} + \frac{1}{2}\ \sum_{n =0}^{\infty} (\frac{e^{- i x}}{2})^{n} =\frac{1}{2}\ \frac{1}{1 - \frac{e^{i x}}{2}} + \frac{1}{2}\ \frac{1} {1 - \frac{e^{- i x}}{2}}\ (2)$

The task of 'suppression' of the imaginary terms from the (2) is tedious but not very difficult and is left to You...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Related to Sum of Cosines: Find the Infinite Series

1. What is the sum of cosines infinite series?

The sum of cosines infinite series is a mathematical concept that involves adding an infinite number of terms of the form cos(nx), where n represents the index of the term. This series has a closed form solution and can be used to approximate functions in calculus and other areas of mathematics.

2. What is the formula for finding the sum of cosines infinite series?

The formula for finding the sum of cosines infinite series is as follows: ∑cos(nx) = 1/2 + cos(x)/2 + cos(2x)/2 + cos(3x)/2 + ... = 1/2 + ∑cos(nx)/2. The series starts with the constant term 1/2 and then adds cos(nx)/2 for each subsequent term.

3. How is the sum of cosines infinite series related to the sum of sines infinite series?

The sum of cosines infinite series is closely related to the sum of sines infinite series. In fact, they are essentially the same series, except that the terms in the sum of sines are shifted by 90 degrees. This means that the sum of sines infinite series can also be expressed as ∑sin(nx) = sin(x)/2 + sin(2x)/2 + sin(3x)/2 + ... = sin(x)/2 + ∑sin(nx)/2.

4. What is the convergence of the sum of cosines infinite series?

The sum of cosines infinite series converges for all values of x, meaning that the series approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. This is because the terms in the series decrease in magnitude as n increases, which allows the series to approach a limit.

5. How is the sum of cosines infinite series used in real-world applications?

The sum of cosines infinite series has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It can be used to approximate periodic functions, such as sound waves and electromagnetic waves. It is also used in signal processing, Fourier analysis, and other areas of mathematics and engineering.