Sum of Multiples of 3 and 5 Below 1000 - Simple C++ Programming Question

In summary, the conversation is about a person who is teaching themselves C++ and is stuck on a simple problem involving finding the sum of all multiples of 3 or 5 below 1000. They provide their code and ask for any feedback or suggestions. They later realize their mistake and correct it.
Finkle
I'm teaching myself C++ and am stuck on this VERY simple problem. I'm not sure what's wrong with my code.

The problem is from https://projecteuler.net/ if anyone is wondering.

Homework Statement

If we list all the natural numbers below 10 that are multiples of 3 or 5, we get 3, 5, 6 and 9. The sum of these multiples is 23.

Find the sum of all the multiples of 3 or 5 below 1000.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Code:
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main()
{
	int num, add;

num = 1;
	add = 0;
	while(num < 1001)
	{
		if(num % 3 == 0 || num % 5 == 0)
		{
			add = num + add;
		}
		num = num + 1;
	}
	cout<<add<<endl;
	return 0;
}

The answer I get from this is 234168 but the site says this is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Annnnd I figured out what I did wrong. The problem states below rather than up to 1000. It included 1000 in the answer so I just subtract that and be on my way.

If there are any bad habits that are in my code, I would like to know just so I don't continue using it.

Thanks.

Related to Sum of Multiples of 3 and 5 Below 1000 - Simple C++ Programming Question

1. What is simple programming?

Simple programming refers to the process of writing and executing code to perform a specific task or solve a problem. It involves using a programming language to communicate instructions to a computer.

2. What are the basic principles of simple programming?

The basic principles of simple programming include understanding the problem, breaking it down into smaller steps, using logical thinking, and writing clear and concise code. It also involves testing and debugging to ensure the code runs smoothly.

3. Which programming language is best for beginners?

There is no one "best" programming language for beginners, as it depends on personal preference and the purpose of the programming. Some popular options for beginners include Python, Java, and JavaScript.

4. How can I improve my simple programming skills?

Practice is key to improving your simple programming skills. Start with small projects and gradually work your way up to more complex ones. You can also learn from online tutorials and resources, and seek feedback from more experienced programmers.

5. What are some common mistakes in simple programming?

Some common mistakes in simple programming include not properly defining variables, forgetting to close brackets or quotes, and using incorrect syntax. It's important to pay attention to detail and regularly test and debug your code to catch any errors.