Super Grand Canonical Ensemble

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a "Super Grand Canonical Ensemble" in which the roles of the thermodynamic conjugate variable pair (P, V) are switched, with pressure becoming the parameter and volume fluctuating in the system. It is noted that this ensemble exists, but does not have a specific name and is often abbreviated as J or Omega. However, it is argued that the super-grand-potential does not exist due to its dependence on only intensive quantities and its inability to be an extensive quantity. This concept is further explored in texts on statistical mechanics.
qbslug
Can we take the grand canonical ensemble and then switch the roles of the thermodynamic conjugate variable pair (P, V) making P (pressure) the parameter and V (volume) the variable and allowing it to fluctuate in the system. The macrostate would then be defined by the pressure temperature and chemical potential allowing the variables of energy, number of particles and volume to fluctuate. We can call this the "Super Grand Canonical Ensemble".

Why is there no super grand canonical ensemble? Is it because in the grand canonical ensemble the volume is an imaginary boundary (and thus user defined anyway). Or perhaps the super grand canonical ensemble gives no new information or has no thermodynamic potential to work with? Why no concern for the switching the PV pair?

Physics news on Phys.org
This ensemble exists, but for some reason, it hasn't got a sticky name. I think it is often abbreviated as J or Omega. It's differential yields the Gibbs Duhem relation, i.e. it vanishes. Abrikosov, Gorkov, Dzyaloshinskii, Quantum field theoretical methods in statistical physics (2ed., Pergamon, 1965) make some use of it and I have it seen discussed also in other texts on statistical mechanics, however I don't remember where.

I think you 'll find it in Mandl's "Statistical Physics". Landau also uses Ω=-PV while Pathria sticks to PV.

I think I have been wrong. The potential Omega I had in mind is simply the grand potential. I believe the super-grand-potential doesn't exist for the following reason: It depends only on intensive quantities and thus cannot be an extensive quantity. In fact it vanishes identically. E.g. [tex] G=\sum_i \mu_i N_i [/tex] and forming [tex] G-\sum_i \mu_i N_i=0 [/tex].

I would like to address the concept of the "Super Grand Canonical Ensemble" proposed in the content. While it may seem like an interesting idea to switch the roles of the thermodynamic conjugate variable pair (P, V) in the grand canonical ensemble, there are several issues that need to be considered.

Firstly, the grand canonical ensemble is a well-established and widely used ensemble in statistical mechanics, which allows for fluctuations in the number of particles, energy, and volume while keeping temperature and chemical potential constant. Switching the roles of the P and V variables would essentially create a new ensemble, which may not have a well-defined physical meaning. It is important to note that ensembles in statistical mechanics are not arbitrary choices, but rather have a physical significance and are derived from fundamental principles.

Moreover, the grand canonical ensemble already takes into account fluctuations in the volume through the use of an imaginary boundary. This boundary is not user-defined, but rather a mathematical construct that allows for the inclusion of volume fluctuations in the ensemble. Therefore, the proposed "Super Grand Canonical Ensemble" would not provide any new information or insights that are not already accounted for in the grand canonical ensemble.

Furthermore, in thermodynamics, the choice of the thermodynamic variables is determined by the thermodynamic potentials, such as the Helmholtz free energy or the Gibbs free energy. In the grand canonical ensemble, the choice of variables (N, V, E) is consistent with the Helmholtz free energy, while in the proposed "Super Grand Canonical Ensemble", the choice of variables (N, P, E) would not correspond to any known thermodynamic potential. This lack of a thermodynamic potential would make it difficult to derive meaningful relationships and equations for this ensemble.

In conclusion, while the idea of a "Super Grand Canonical Ensemble" may seem intriguing, there are fundamental issues that need to be addressed before considering its validity. The grand canonical ensemble is a well-established and physically meaningful ensemble, and there is no need to switch the roles of the P and V variables.

Related to Super Grand Canonical Ensemble

1. What is the Super Grand Canonical Ensemble?

The Super Grand Canonical Ensemble is a statistical mechanical ensemble used to describe the behavior of a system of particles that are in thermal equilibrium with a reservoir of particles. It is an extension of the Grand Canonical Ensemble, where both the number of particles and the energy of the system are allowed to fluctuate.

2. How is the Super Grand Canonical Ensemble different from other ensembles?

The Super Grand Canonical Ensemble differs from other ensembles in that it allows for fluctuations in both the number of particles and the energy of the system. In other ensembles, either the number of particles or the energy is fixed.

3. What types of systems are described by the Super Grand Canonical Ensemble?

The Super Grand Canonical Ensemble is commonly used to describe systems that are in thermal equilibrium with a reservoir of particles, such as gases or liquids. It is also used to describe systems that are in contact with a heat bath, such as a system coupled to a thermal reservoir.

4. What is the significance of the Super Grand Canonical Ensemble in statistical mechanics?

The Super Grand Canonical Ensemble is important in statistical mechanics as it allows for a more accurate description of systems that are in contact with a reservoir of particles. It also allows for the study of systems that are in equilibrium with a heat bath, which is essential in understanding many physical and chemical processes.

5. How is the Super Grand Canonical Ensemble related to other statistical mechanical ensembles?

The Super Grand Canonical Ensemble is closely related to other ensembles, such as the Grand Canonical Ensemble and the Canonical Ensemble. It is considered an extension of these ensembles, as it allows for fluctuations in both the number of particles and the energy of the system. In certain limits, the Super Grand Canonical Ensemble reduces to these other ensembles.