Superposition of branches in MWI

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of superposition in the Many-Worlds Interpretation (MWI) and its relationship to the measurement problem. The speaker raises the question of whether a measurement on a superposition would result in only one branch being considered "real" due to the probabilities adding up to 1. However, it is explained that MWI assumes all branches are equally real and that the measurement problem is a formulation of this interpretation. The conversation also touches on the unitarity of the evolution of the wavefunction and its role in creating superpositions.
entropy1
So I consider a measurement on a superposition, in MWI, leads to another superposition:
##(|A\rangle+|B\rangle)|Observer\rangle \rightarrow |A\rangle|Observer{A}\rangle+|B\rangle|Observer{B}\rangle##
If we come to the latter situation, a superposition of branches, why does that not mean that, since it is a superposition, and the probabilities add up to 1, that only one of the branches is real, since only one of them can have probability 1?

So I feel I am overlooking an elephant.

Edit: I guess the superposition is a consequence of the unitarity of the evolution of the wavefunction. But I think that such a superposition doesn't deliver reality as we perceive it. But that may be precisely the measurement problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
entropy1 said:
So I consider a measurement on a superposition, in MWI, ... why does that not mean that, since ... the probabilities of ending up in a certain branch add up to 1, that only one of the branches is real?
Because, according to MWI, ##\psi## is something objectively real on an individual level, so a priori it has nothing to do with probability.

entropy1 said:
I guess the superposition is a consequence of the unitarity of the evolution of the wavefunction.
Of course.

entropy1 said:
But I think that such a superposition doesn't deliver reality as we perceive it.
I would agree with you, but MWI assumes that it does.

entropy1 said:
But that may be precisely the measurement problem.
Yes, that's one of formulations of the measurement problem.

entropy1 said:
So I consider a measurement on a superposition, in MWI, leads to another superposition:
##(|A\rangle+|B\rangle)|Observer\rangle \rightarrow |A\rangle|Observer{A}\rangle+|B\rangle|Observer{B}\rangle##
If we come to the latter situation, a superposition of branches, why does that not mean that, since it is a superposition, and the probabilities add up to 1, that only one of the branches is real, since only one of them can have probability 1?

If you assume that the probability of a certain probability outcome is 1, you will end up with just 1 possible universe.

But you don't have to assume so. There will be thousands of other vanishing non-zero probabilities. So you always end up with the MWI.