Surface area limited with two functions

In summary: You want:S=\int_{-\frac{1}{2}}^{\frac{1}{2}}\left[h(x)-g(x) \right]\,dxSince the integrand is even and the limits to integration also symmetric about the $y$-axis, we may use the even-function rule to state:S=2\int_{0}^{\frac{1}{2}}\left[h(x)-g(x) \right]\,dxi will need some time to figure this out...i will need some time to figure this out...
theakdad
I have to calculate the surface area limited with two functions:

\(\displaystyle g(x)=2\) and \(\displaystyle h(x)=\frac{4}{4x^2+1}\)

i was thinking first to calculate the points where this functions are intersecting by \(\displaystyle g(x)=h(x)\) and to find corresponding $x$ for the intersection...and then to calculate definite integral somehow. Am i on the right path? Thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
wishmaster said:
I have to calculate the surface area limited with two functions:

\(\displaystyle g(x)=2\) and \(\displaystyle h(x)=\frac{4}{4x^2+1}\)

i was thinking first to calculate the points where this functions are intersecting by \(\displaystyle g(x)=h(x)\) and to find corresponding $x$ for the intersection...and then to calculate definite integral somehow. Am i on the right path? Thank you for your help!

Yes, you are on the right path.

You may also utilize the even symmetry of the bounding functions to find only the first quadrant area, and then double that to get the total area.

Have you found the first quadrant point of intersection?

MarkFL said:
Yes, you are on the right path.

You may also utilize the even symmetry of the bounding functions to find only the first quadrant area, and then double that to get the total area.

Have you found the first quadrant point of intersection?

So intersections are: \(\displaystyle -\frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{2}\)

wishmaster said:
So intersections are: \(\displaystyle -\frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{2}\)

Correct. Have you determined which function is the "top" function on the relevant interval?

MarkFL said:
Correct. Have you determined which function is the "top" function on the relevant interval?

its $g(x)$

wishmaster said:
its $g(x)$

Pick a test value for $x$ in the interval \(\displaystyle \left(-\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2} \right)\). I would suggest $x=0$ for simplicity.

Which function is greater at $x=0$?

MarkFL said:
Pick a test value for $x$ in the interval \(\displaystyle \left(-\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2} \right)\). I would suggest $x=0$ for simplicity.

Which function is greater at $x=0$?

Its $h(x)$, I am sorry.

wishmaster said:
Its $h(x)$, I am sorry.

Correct. Now, can you write the definite integral representing the area bounded by the two functions?

MarkFL said:
Correct. Now, can you write the definite integral representing the area bounded by the two functions?

\(\displaystyle S=\int_a^b(h(x)+C)-\int_a^b(g(x)+C)\) where $a$ is \(\displaystyle -\frac{1}{2}\) and $b$ is \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}\) ??

No, you want:

\(\displaystyle S=\int_{-\frac{1}{2}}^{\frac{1}{2}}\left[h(x)-g(x) \right]\,dx\)

Since the integrand is even and the limits to integration also symmetric about the $y$-axis, we may use the even-function rule to state:

\(\displaystyle S=2\int_{0}^{\frac{1}{2}}\left[h(x)-g(x) \right]\,dx\)

MarkFL said:
No, you want:

\(\displaystyle S=\int_{-\frac{1}{2}}^{\frac{1}{2}}\left[h(x)-g(x) \right]\,dx\)

Since the integrand is even and the limits to integration also symmetric about the $y$-axis, we may use the even-function rule to state:

\(\displaystyle S=2\int_{0}^{\frac{1}{2}}\left[h(x)-g(x) \right]\,dx\)

i will need some time to figure this out...

wishmaster said:
i will need some time to figure this out...

Here is a plot of the area to be found:

View attachment 1722

Can you see the symmetry now?

Attachments

• wishmaster.jpg
    wishmaster.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 49
MarkFL said:
Here is a plot of the area to be found:

View attachment 1722

Can you see the symmetry now?

I see,yes. Whats the software you use to write graphs?

wishmaster said:
\(\displaystyle S=\int_a^b(h(x)+C)-\int_a^b(g(x)+C)\) where $a$ is \(\displaystyle -\frac{1}{2}\) and $b$ is \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}\) ??
You haven't yet done the integration so there should be no "C".

Related to Surface area limited with two functions

1. What is meant by "surface area limited with two functions"?

"Surface area limited with two functions" refers to a mathematical concept where the surface area of a three-dimensional object is constrained or restricted by two different functions. These functions are typically equations that represent the boundaries or constraints of the object.

2. How is surface area limited with two functions calculated?

The calculation for surface area limited with two functions depends on the specific shape and constraints of the object. In general, it involves finding the surface area of each individual component or side of the object and then combining them together using mathematical operations such as addition or subtraction.

3. What are some real-world applications of surface area limited with two functions?

This concept is commonly used in engineering and construction, where it can help determine the amount of materials needed to build a structure with specific dimensions and constraints. It is also used in physics and chemistry to calculate the surface area of particles or molecules.

4. How does surface area limited with two functions differ from other surface area calculations?

In traditional surface area calculations, the object is usually assumed to have fixed dimensions and constraints. Surface area limited with two functions takes into account varying constraints and boundaries that may affect the overall surface area of the object.

5. What are some strategies for solving problems involving surface area limited with two functions?

One strategy is to carefully identify and define the constraints and boundaries of the object. From there, you can use mathematical equations and techniques to solve for the surface area. It can also be helpful to break down the object into smaller components and calculate their surface areas individually before combining them together.