Symmetric square well, wavefunction is weird

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a symmetric infinite square well with a wavefunction that needs to be rearranged into a linear combination of cosine and sine terms. The individual terms should correspond to specific values of n, which can then be used to determine the probabilities of energy eigenvalues. However, the presence of ε(x) makes it difficult to use trigonometric identities, and a Fourier transform is suggested as a possible solution.
StarWombat
OP warned about not using the homework template
Hi,
I'm trying to work my way through some problems and am stuck on one for a symmetric infinite square well, of width 2a, so -a<x<+a. Since this is the symmetric case, the wavefunction should be a linear combination of the terms

(a) cos (nπx/2a) for odd n,
(a) sin (nπx/2a) for even n.

The question gives a wavefunction Ψ(x,0) = ε(x) (3a)(1 - cos (2πx/a)) where ε(x) = +1 for x>0, -1 for x<0. I want to rearrange this so it's a linear combination of cos and sin terms, for various values of n. It's easy to get 1-cos(2y) to a single term proportional to sin2(y) using trig identities, but I don't want the square. I want a linear combination of cosine and sine terms where I can read off the value of n for each term (and hence find the probabilities of the various energy eigenvalues). I don't think I can just read n out of the existing cosine because that would imply that n=4, but the cos terms correspond to odd values of n.

And I'm probably sleepy and will kick myself once I see the solution, but at the moment I just can't think of what way to massage this into the linear combination I want. So if anyone has any ideas please shout them out.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
You won't be able to do it with trigonometric identities because of the ε(x). Try a Fourier transform.

Related to Symmetric square well, wavefunction is weird

What is a symmetric square well?

A symmetric square well is a type of potential energy function that is commonly used to model the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics. It is characterized by a potential energy that is constant inside a specific region and infinite outside of that region.

What makes the wavefunction of a symmetric square well weird?

The wavefunction of a symmetric square well is often considered weird because it does not follow the typical patterns seen in other potential energy functions. It exhibits unusual behaviors such as oscillating between positive and negative values and having multiple peaks and valleys within the potential well.

How is the wavefunction of a symmetric square well related to particle behavior?

The wavefunction of a symmetric square well is directly related to the probability of finding a particle in a certain location within the potential well. This means that the shape and behavior of the wavefunction can tell us a lot about the behavior of the particle within the potential well.

What factors can affect the wavefunction of a symmetric square well?

The wavefunction of a symmetric square well can be affected by various factors such as the width and depth of the potential well, the energy of the particle, and the boundary conditions of the system. These factors can alter the shape and behavior of the wavefunction and thus affect the behavior of the particle within the potential well.

How is the wavefunction of a symmetric square well used in practical applications?

The wavefunction of a symmetric square well is used in many practical applications, particularly in the field of quantum mechanics. It is used to model the behavior of particles in various systems, such as atoms and molecules, and can help us understand and predict their behavior and properties.