System of Equations (Matrices)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a jar containing nickels, dimes, and quarters. The jar contains a total of 1469 coins, with a total value of $191.25. The number of dimes is twice the number of nickels. The conversation mentions using matrices and MatLab to solve the problem, but there was an error in the final solution due to incorrect input values. The correct solution is N = 640, D = 320, and Q = 509.
smashbrohamme

A jar contains nickels, dimes and quarters. There are 1469 coins in the jar totaling $191.25. Assuming that the number of dimes is exactly twice that of the number of nickels, how many (each) nickels, dimes and quarters are there in the jar?We were suppose to be using matrices to solve this, it is mainly a MATLAB simulation. The idea was to get us familiar with the basics of matlab, but it seems I did a simple error and got the problem wrong. I see where my error was with the final problem solution, but I can't figure out how to correct it; or why the correction would be the reason. (If that makes any sense).

My 3 equations were
N = Nickel
D = Dime
Q = Quarter

N + D + Q = 1469
0.05N + 0.10D + 0.25Q = 191.25
N - 2D = 0 *N = 2D*

I set up a 3x3 matric
1 1 1 * N = 1469
0.05 0.10 0.25 * D = 191.25
1 -2 0 * Q = 0

My answer using Matlab was
N=640
D=320
Q=509

I attached a screenshot of the Matlab command script.

Attachments

• homework_problem.png
    homework_problem.png
    36.5 KB · Views: 507
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have as your third equation that [itex]N - 2D = 0[/itex], or [itex]N = 2D[/itex], but that means that the number of nickels is twice the number of dimes. Your problem states that the number of dimes is twice that of the number of nickels.

You appear to have "1.0e3* 1.913" when you should have 191.25 (1.0e3 * 1.9125). That might be because you have Mat Lab set to round off at too low an accuracy.

Related to System of Equations (Matrices)

1. What is a system of equations?

A system of equations is a set of two or more equations that contain multiple variables. These equations are meant to be solved simultaneously to find the values of the variables that satisfy all of the equations.

2. What is a matrix in a system of equations?

In a system of equations, a matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or variables that represents the coefficients and constants in the equations. The size of the matrix is determined by the number of equations and variables in the system.

3. How is a system of equations solved using matrices?

To solve a system of equations using matrices, the coefficients and constants from the equations are organized into a matrix. This matrix is then manipulated using operations such as row operations and Gaussian elimination to reduce it to an upper triangular form. The resulting matrix can then be used to find the values of the variables in the system.

4. Can all systems of equations be solved using matrices?

No, not all systems of equations can be solved using matrices. Matrices can only be used to solve systems of linear equations, which are equations where the variables have a power of 1 and do not contain any products or divisions.

5. What are some real-world applications of using matrices to solve systems of equations?

Matrices can be used to solve systems of equations in a variety of fields, including engineering, economics, and physics. For example, in engineering, matrices can be used to determine the forces acting on a structure or the flow of electricity in a circuit. In economics, matrices can be used to model and solve problems related to supply and demand or production and cost. In physics, matrices can be used to calculate the position and velocity of objects in motion or to analyze the behavior of electric circuits.