Systems Engineering and coding

In summary, the introductory c++ course may be difficult for some engineers, but it is important to have at least some knowledge of the concepts. While coding may not be necessary for all engineers, it can have career advantages and is worth giving a serious try.
JesseJC
Hello, so I'm going into my second year of engineering and everything is swell. I plan to choose the systems option when it comes to that time. There's only one thing that has been giving me trouble, and it is the introductory c++ course, I cannot, for the life of me, code. I can't really stand to do it either, I find it mind numbing, dull, and difficult. How important is this? I've heard that some engineers code a lot but other engineers do not; I'm not looking to become a software or computer engineer, so if I'm bad at coding, should I worry about my future as an engineer? This is the first course that I've taken where I'm fairly certain I will fail.

Physics news on Phys.org
The only engineers that really need to code in C or C++ are software engineers. However, many engineers have their own software tools for modelling the systems they are working with - and many of those are, in fact, coding. For example, MATLAB is probably used by more other engineers that software engineers - and it is coding. For that matter, skilled use of Excel spreadsheets often taps the same detailed-oriented, patient, self-involved analysis needed to get software working.
Also, C++ provides a structure for encapsulated designs - a concept that can be applied broadly to many engineering disciplines, especially systems engineering.
Finally, advantages to learning when you are young (which, perhaps you are) is that in some ways you are more trainable and anything you do get from the C++ course, will be available to you for life. Chalking up just a couple of small successes in your C++ course could go a long ways in your ability to tolerate "mind numbing" analysis.

So my answer:
---> Systems engineers absolutely require some knowledge of certain C++ concepts;
---> They don't need to know how to code is C++; and
---> Give the coding a serious shot, because the mental discipline can have career advantages.

Related to Systems Engineering and coding

What is Systems Engineering?

Systems Engineering is an interdisciplinary approach to designing and managing complex systems. It involves analyzing and understanding the interactions and dependencies among various components of a system in order to optimize its performance and functionality.

What is coding?

Coding, also known as programming, is the process of creating instructions for a computer to carry out specific tasks. It involves writing and testing code using a programming language, such as Java or Python, to create software, apps, websites, and other digital tools.

How do Systems Engineering and coding relate to each other?

Systems Engineering and coding are closely related as coding is often used to implement the designs and solutions created through Systems Engineering. In other words, coding is a tool used by Systems Engineers to develop and implement complex systems.

What are the key skills needed for a career in Systems Engineering and coding?

Some key skills needed for a career in Systems Engineering and coding include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, knowledge of various programming languages and software development tools, and the ability to work in a team and communicate effectively.

What are some real-world applications of Systems Engineering and coding?

Systems Engineering and coding have a wide range of real-world applications, including creating and maintaining software systems for businesses, designing and optimizing transportation systems, developing medical devices, and creating smart technology for homes and cities.