Systems of equations - further understanding

In summary, we discussed three questions related to systems of equations. For the first question, we determined that when 2a-b+c=0, there is an infinite solution and when it is not equal to 0, there is no solution. For the second question, we used the rank-nullity theorem to determine the number of parameters in the family of solutions for a matrix A with dimensions 3x4 and rank 1. Finally, for the third question, we used simple examples to show that if Ax=b has infinite solution, then Ax=c must also have infinite solution or the statement is false.
Yankel
Hello again,

I have a few more questions regarding systems of equations, I will collect them all here in one post since they are small.

1. The first is the following system:

x+2y-3z=a
3x-y+2z=b
x-5y+8z=c

I need to determine the relation between a,b and c for which the system has infinite solution, unique solution or no solution. I did some row operations and got:

\[\begin{pmatrix} 1 &2 &-3 &a \\ 0 &-7 &11 &b-3a \\ 0 &0 &0 &2a-b+c \end{pmatrix}\]

I conclude that when 2a-b+c=0 there is an infinite solution and when it ain't equal 0, there is no solution. A unique solution is not possible. However, Maple got the same matrix but claims that there is no solution either way...is it a computer bug or I am mistaken ?

2. A is a matrix over the R field with dimensions 3X4. The rank of A is 1. How many degrees of freedom (parameters, i.e. t,s,...) does the family of solutions of Ax=0 has ?

3. If Ax=b has infinite solution, then Ax=c has infinite solution or no solution. True or False ?

Thanks a lot !
:)

Physics news on Phys.org
Yankel said:
Hello again,

I have a few more questions regarding systems of equations, I will collect them all here in one post since they are small.

1. The first is the following system:

x+2y-3z=a
3x-y+2z=b
x-5y+8z=c

I need to determine the relation between a,b and c for which the system has infinite solution, unique solution or no solution. I did some row operations and got:

\[\begin{pmatrix} 1 &2 &-3 &a \\ 0 &-7 &11 &b-3a \\ 0 &0 &0 &2a-b+c \end{pmatrix}\]

I conclude that when 2a-b+c=0 there is an infinite solution and when it ain't equal 0, there is no solution. A unique solution is not possible. However, Maple got the same matrix but claims that there is no solution either way...is it a computer bug or I am mistaken ?

2. A is a matrix over the R field with dimensions 3X4. The rank of A is 1. How many degrees of freedom (parameters, i.e. t,s,...) does the family of solutions of Ax=0 has ?

3. If Ax=b has infinite solution, then Ax=c has infinite solution or no solution. True or False ?

Thanks a lot !
:)
Hello,

1. For it to be infinity soloution you want them to be linear dependen
2. Dim ker (A) Tells you how many parameters there is,

edit: 1. Yes it looks correct for me what you Said

notice that I have not checked your progress!

Regards,
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

Last edited:
Umm...don't trust computers, they lie to you.

OBVIOUSLY, there is the solution (0,0,0) when a = b = c = 0. perhaps not as obviously, there are also the solutions of the form:

t(-1,11,7) for any real number t, when a = b = c = 0.

Thus given some vector (a,b,c) for which 2a - b + c = 0 (like, for example: (1,1,-1)), we can conclude we have the infinite number of solutions:

(2/7,13/7,1) + t(-1,11,7), since:

A(2/7,13/7,1) = (2/7 + 26/7 - 3, 6/7 - 13/7 + 2,2/7 - 65/7 + 8) = (1,1,-1) and

A(t(-1,11,7)) = t(A(-1,11,7)) = t(0,0,0) = (0,0,0)

So clearly Maple is wrong about the number of solutions.

For #2, the rank-nullity theorem tells you that:

rank(A) + nullity(A) = 4. See also Petrus' answer above, note that, by definition:

nullity(A) = dim(ker(A))

For #3: on these types of problems it's good to play with some simple examples.

Try using:

$A = \begin{bmatrix}1&0\\0&0 \end{bmatrix}$

$b = \begin{bmatrix}1\\0 \end{bmatrix}$

and

$c = \begin{bmatrix}2\\0 \end{bmatrix}$

or

$c = \begin{bmatrix}0\\2 \end{bmatrix}$

Now suppose the statement is false:

this means that we have a UNIQUE solution x0 of Ax = c, but infinitely many of Ax = b.

Pick two DIFFERENT solutions of Ax = b, say x = x1, x2.

Since these are different solutions, x1 - x2 ≠ 0, so x1 - x2 + x0 ≠ x0.

Now A(x1 - x2 + x0) = A(x1) - A(x2) + A(x0​) = b - b + c =...?

Related to Systems of equations - further understanding

1. What is a system of equations?

A system of equations is a set of two or more equations that are solved together to find the values of the unknown variables that satisfy all of the equations.

2. What is the difference between a linear and a nonlinear system of equations?

A linear system of equations is one in which all of the equations are linear, meaning they can be written in the form y = mx + b. A nonlinear system of equations includes at least one equation that is not linear, such as quadratic or exponential equations.

3. How do you solve a system of equations?

There are several methods for solving a system of equations, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. Each method involves manipulating the equations in order to eliminate one variable and solve for the remaining variables.

4. Can a system of equations have more than one solution?

Yes, a system of equations can have one, zero, or infinitely many solutions. The number of solutions is determined by the number of equations and the number of variables.

5. How can systems of equations be applied in real life?

Systems of equations are used to solve many real-world problems, such as calculating the cost of different items in a store, determining the optimal mix of ingredients in a recipe, and analyzing the relationship between different variables in a scientific experiment.