Tachyons challenge the Standard Model?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of closed string tachyon condensation, which can excite the graviton and potentially warp spacetime. The speaker raises a concern about symmetry and how the effects of the graviton may differ on the Earth and the Moon. They also question how the existence of tachyons would impact the Standard Model and whether it would only affect gravitons or have a larger effect. The conversation concludes with the idea of assuming the existence of tachyons in order to continue the discussion.
LordArk
Just looking for ideas if it does.

I've looked at closed string tachyon condensation and it apparently excites the graviton as it's also closed string and this can warp spacetime.

I (think) see a flaw in symmetry here as if I were on earth, feeling the gravitational field strength, I'd expect the same laws to govern me if i were on the moon. Now, the effect on me is mediated through the graviton (from the Earth or moon to me), which could get excited and warp spacetime so I'm not feeling the same on the moon as I am on the earth.
This was the thought process going through me head when I read about it, so if at any stage, there's something wrong, please point it out.

Now let's say Tachyons do exist, how would it change the Standard model, if at all? Would it just affect gravitons or would this somehow move onto the whole model?

Physics news on Phys.org
'Show me the tachyons' [then we will talk].

That's why I arbitrarily said, "Let's assume"

Related to Tachyons challenge the Standard Model?

1. What are tachyons and how do they challenge the Standard Model?

Tachyons are hypothetical particles that are predicted to travel faster than the speed of light. This challenges the Standard Model, which states that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. If tachyons do exist, it would require a major revision of our understanding of the laws of physics.

2. What evidence do we have for the existence of tachyons?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for the existence of tachyons. However, some scientists believe that certain phenomena, such as the observation of particles appearing to travel faster than the speed of light in certain experiments, could be indicative of tachyons. Further research and experiments are needed to provide more conclusive evidence.

3. How do tachyons affect our understanding of causality?

If tachyons do exist, it would challenge our understanding of causality, which is the principle that cause must always precede effect. Tachyons, with their ability to travel faster than the speed of light, would blur the concept of cause and effect and could potentially lead to paradoxes and inconsistencies in our understanding of the universe.

4. Can the Standard Model be modified to accommodate tachyons?

Some scientists have proposed modifications to the Standard Model that could potentially incorporate tachyons. However, these modifications are still highly theoretical and require further research and testing to determine their validity.

5. How does the potential existence of tachyons impact our current understanding of the universe?

If tachyons are proven to exist, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It could potentially open up new possibilities for faster-than-light travel and communication, and could also lead to a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of physics and the nature of space and time.