Tangent to reparameterized curve

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a tangent to a curve on a manifold, and how it changes under reparameterization. The chain rule is used to derive the result, and a recommended book on the subject is mentioned. The notation used by the person asking the question is clarified and corrected.
monea83
Given is a curve [tex]\gamma[/tex] from [tex]\mathbb{R} \rightarrow M[/tex] for some manifold M. The tangent to [tex]\gamma[/tex] at [tex]c[/tex] is defined as

[tex](\gamma_*c)g = \frac{dg \circ {\gamma}}{du}(c)[/tex]

Now, the curve is to be reparameterized so that [tex]\tau = \gamma \circ f[/tex], with f defining the reparametrization. (f' > 0 everywhere)

The book I'm reading claims that [tex]\tau_* = f' \cdot \gamma_* \circ f[/tex], however I do not quite see how this result is derived.

Using the chain rule, I get

[tex]
(\tau_*c)g = \frac{dg \circ \gamma \circ f}{du}(c) =\frac{dg \circ \gamma \circ f}{df} \cdot \frac{df}{du}(c)
[/tex]

The second part of the rhs is obviously f', but how is the first part equal to [tex]\gamma_* \circ f[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your notation is really bad. Try this:

The tangent to [tex]\gamma[/tex] at [tex]\gamma(u_0)[/tex] is the tangent vector [tex]\gamma_{*,u_0}[/tex] defined by

[tex]
(\gamma_{*,u_0})g := \frac{d(g \circ {\gamma})}{du}(u_0)
[/tex]

So, for [tex]\tau:= \gamma \circ f[/tex] a reparametrization, the chain rule yields

[tex]
(\tau_{*,t_0})g = \frac{d(g \circ \gamma \circ f)}{dt}(t_0) =\frac{d(g \circ \gamma)}{du}(f(t_0)) \frac{df}{dt}(t_0)=f'(t_0)(\gamma_{*,f(t_0)})g
[/tex]

That is to say,

[tex]\tau_{*,t_0}=f'(t_0)\cdot \gamma_{*,f(t_0)}[/tex]

for all t_0.

Or, even more compactly,

[tex]\tau_*=f'\cdot \gamma_{*}\circ f[/tex]

I highly recommend the book Introduction to Smooth Manifolds by John Lee.

Last edited:
Thank you very much, I think I can work it out now!

When you say my notation is bad, are you referring to my application of the chain rule (which I believe is flawed), or to the notation in which the problem was posed (which was taken from "Tensor analysis on manifolds", Bishop & Goldberg)?

Related to Tangent to reparameterized curve

1. What is a tangent to a reparameterized curve?

A tangent to a reparameterized curve is a line that touches the curve at only one point and is parallel to the curve at that point.

2. Why is reparameterization necessary when finding the tangent to a curve?

Reparameterization is necessary because it helps to simplify the curve and make it easier to find the tangent. It also allows for a more accurate representation of the curve.

3. How do you find the tangent to a reparameterized curve?

To find the tangent to a reparameterized curve, you first need to find the derivative of the curve. Then, you can plug in the point of tangency into the derivative to find the slope of the tangent. Finally, you can use the slope and the point of tangency to create the equation of the tangent line.

4. What is the relationship between a reparameterized curve and its tangent?

The relationship between a reparameterized curve and its tangent is that the tangent is always parallel to the curve at the point of tangency. This means that the slope of the curve and the slope of the tangent are equal at that point.

5. Can a reparameterized curve have multiple tangents?

Yes, a reparameterized curve can have multiple tangents. This can occur when the curve has a point of inflection or when the slope of the curve changes abruptly at a certain point. In these cases, there may be multiple tangents with different slopes at the same point on the curve.