Term: generalization of parallel curves to 3D

In summary: In the case of two concentric circles, this distance would be the same as the distance between their centers. In summary, the term "skew curves" could be used to describe two non-intersecting curves in 3-D space, but there may be some ambiguity due to different definitions. Defining the concept of "equidistant" for two curves can be difficult and may require further clarification. The simplest approach to defining "parallel curves" may be through specific types of transformations that maintain a constant distance between points on the two curves.
nomadreid
Gold Member
I know that the generalization of parallel lines to curves in 2D is just "parallel curves", but is there any term which generalizes the idea of skew lines to curves? "Skew curves" doesn't work, this term already being co-opted by statistics. Example: if you had two curves coiling around each other in the fashion of the typical simplified diagram for the DNA double helix, where each curve (strand) is separated from the other by a constant distance (length of the base pairs). (For the biologists, please don't write to tell me how the simplified diagram is not accurate. I am not asking a question in biology, but just using it as an example of the form.)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Answer removed .

Last edited:
Thanks for the input and pretty picture, Nidum, but apparently I expressed my question poorly, since you seem to have missed the point of my question. I was not asking specifically about helices. I was merely giving this as an example. My question was for the general term to characterize the non-intersection of two non-linear curves in 3-D space, as well as one which could characterize a pair of such curves that remained a constant distance from one another.

I understood the question .

nomadreid said:
I know that the generalization of parallel lines to curves in 2D is just "parallel curves", but is there any term which generalizes the idea of skew lines to curves?
I don't understand what concept you wish to generalize. I can draw two "skew" lines without worrying much about any relationship between them - I just have to make sure they don't intersect. So if I generalized that idea to curves, then two non-intersecting curves would be "skew curves". However, the notion of "parallel" curves suggests curves that have a more restrictive relation.

Likes nomadreid
I guess I was actually asking two questions. The main one: it does, indeed, seem natural to call two curves that do not intersect in 3-D "skew curves" as a generalization of "skew lines" , but a google search comes up with two definitions of skew curves :
(a) "a curve in three-dimensional space that does not lie in a single plane" https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/skew curve
(b) page 162 , definition 3, of http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-319-01736-5_4#page-1
(and, being sloppy, "positive skew curve" from probability/statistics, even through that parses as "positive-skew curve" rather than "positive skew-curve", for "positively skewed distribution").
Therefore it seemed dubious whether one could use "skew curve" in the sense of two non-intersecting curves not lying in the same plane.
The second question is less important, but whether, once one had a term for two non-intersecting curves not lying in the same plane, whether the additional restriction of the two curves being equidistant from one another would have a name as well, but upon reflection, the only two smooth continuous curves that I can think of that would fit that description would be the double helix, no?

nomadreid said:
Therefore it seemed dubious whether one could use "skew curve" in the sense of two non-intersecting curves not lying in the same plane.

Are we pursuing a study in lexicography or are we in search of a apt definition for a particular mental concept?

I haven't studied the various definitions of "skew curve", so I don't know there is a "standard" definition for it in mathematics.

The second question is less important, but whether, once one had a term for two non-intersecting curves not lying in the same plane, whether the additional restriction of the two curves being equidistant from one another would have a name as well, but upon reflection, the only two smooth continuous curves that I can think of that would fit that description would be the double helix, no?

Curves don't have to lie in a plane. Are we only interested in those that do?

Defining "equidistant" for two curves is an interesting problem. It's intuitively clear what that means, but formulating a mathematical definition seems difficult. For example, two concentric circles in the same plane are (intuitively) "equidistant" from each other. In that case a clear method of measuring distance from a point on one curve "to the other curve" suggests itself. We measure the distance along a radial ray drawn through the point. But for curves of a more complicated shape, how do we define where to take the measurement?

I suspect the simplest approach to mathematical definition of "parallel curves" is to say that one curve can be transformed into the other by certain types of transformations. However, what types of transformations shall we pick?

Likes nomadreid
Thanks, Stephen Tashi. Working from the bottom up,
Stephen Tashi said:
I suspect the simplest approach to mathematical definition of "parallel curves" is to say that one curve can be transformed into the other by certain types of transformations. However, what types of transformations shall we pick?
I would suggest that a translation or an enlargement (but not both) in such a way that, if T is the transformation, for every point P on the original curve, the distance between P and T(P) stays constant. In this way, in the (simplified) DNA double helix, each strand can be translated to the other, so the two helices are parallel, and two concentric circles would also be parallel. But not having considered all possible curves, this would probably need polishing.

Stephen Tashi said:
Defining "equidistant" for two curves is an interesting problem. It's intuitively clear what that means, but formulating a mathematical definition seems difficult. For example, two concentric circles in the same plane are (intuitively) "equidistant" from each other. In that case a clear method of measuring distance from a point on one curve "to the other curve" suggests itself. We measure the distance along a radial ray drawn through the point. But for curves of a more complicated shape, how do we define where to take the measurement?
Good point. For two parallel curves, I see two possibilities:
(a) to fit in with my suggested definition above, the distance between P and T(P).
(b) the smallest distance between two points on the curve.
But the second one clashes with the first one, so I do not really know the best definition.

Stephen Tashi said:
Curves don't have to lie in a plane. Are we only interested in those that do?
No, as my example with the DNA helices indicate.

Stephen Tashi said:
Are we pursuing a study in lexicography or are we in search of a apt definition for a particular mental concept?
Somewhere half-way between. I am translating and editing an article for someone who appears to be a bit shaky both on his terminology and on some of the concepts.

nomadreid said:
To phrase that mathematically: Let the first curve be parametrized by A(x) where ##x \in [0,1]##, let the second curve be parametrized by B(x) with the same range. Let d(a,b) be the Euclidean distance between two points.
How can we classify all curves that satisfy this?
$$\exists c \in \mathbb{R}: \forall x \in [0,1]: \min_{y \in [0,1]} d(A(x),B(y)) = c \land \min_{z \in [0,1]} d(A(z),B(x)) = c$$
In words, for each point on either curve, the closest point on the other curve has to have a distance of c.

The helix is an obvious example, two parallel lines are an obvious example, two concentric circles are an obvious examples, two "parallel circles" (like two car wheels) are an obvious example but we can also combine those shapes. We can have two lines that are straight and parallel for a while, then curve like two concentric circles, get straight again, curve like two parallel circles, ... and we can probably mix and combine those patterns in many complex ways.

Likes nomadreid

Related to Term: generalization of parallel curves to 3D

1. What is the definition of the term "generalization of parallel curves to 3D"?

The generalization of parallel curves to 3D refers to the extension of the concept of parallel curves, which are curves that never intersect but maintain a constant distance from each other. In three-dimensional space, this concept is applied to curves that exist on different planes.

2. How is the generalization of parallel curves to 3D used in scientific research?

This concept is used in various fields of scientific research, such as computer graphics, robotics, and physics. In computer graphics, it is used to create 3D models with smooth and realistic curves. In robotics, it is used to plan efficient and collision-free paths for robots. In physics, it is used to study the behavior of particles in three-dimensional space.

3. What are the benefits of understanding the generalization of parallel curves to 3D?

Understanding the generalization of parallel curves to 3D can help in solving complex problems in various fields of science and technology. It also allows for the creation of more realistic and accurate models and simulations in computer graphics and physics. In robotics, it can lead to the development of more efficient and precise movement algorithms.

4. What are some limitations of the generalization of parallel curves to 3D?

One limitation of this concept is that it assumes a perfect and continuous surface, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, the calculations involved in determining parallel curves in three-dimensional space can be complex and computationally intensive, making it challenging to use in real-time applications.

5. How is the generalization of parallel curves to 3D related to other mathematical concepts?

The generalization of parallel curves to 3D is closely related to the concept of parallelism in geometry, which refers to lines or planes that never intersect. It is also related to the concept of tangent lines in calculus, which are lines that touch a curve at a single point and have the same slope as the curve at that point. Additionally, it is connected to the concept of symmetry, as parallel curves have a symmetrical relationship in three-dimensional space.