Test for fractional dimensions

In summary: But I don't think that would count as evidence of a fractal universe.In summary, this question is impossible to answer because Fractal isn't a well defined property.
Loren Booda
What experiment could determine whether our universe is fractal?

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
Loren Booda said:

Your question can't be answered. Fractal isn't a well-defined property. Fractal vaguely implies self-symmetry, but this isn't good enough to give a yes or no answer.

From what I understand of fractional dimensions, they are such that there is not complete freedom of movement in them (i.e. their freedom of movement is a fraction of 1). This means there are discrete positions, not a continuum.

There should in principle be a test that could show that an object could not move continuously through that dimension, but would move in quantized jumps.

DaveC426913 said:
From what I understand of fractional dimensions, they are such that there is not complete freedom of movement in them (i.e. their freedom of movement is a fraction of 1). This means there are discrete positions, not a continuum.

There should in principle be a test that could show that an object could not move continuously through that dimension, but would move in quantized jumps.

You mean like quantum states for example? Oops sorry, just re read and see you said quantized jumps that's what I was thinking of. So since energy is quantized then is that evidence that there are fractional dimensions?

TalonD said:
So since energy is quantized then is that evidence that there are fractional dimensions?
1] I'm just hypothesizing. None of this comes close to constituting evidence.
2] My supposition is that a fractal universe would require a quantized spatial dimension. Don't see how energy being quantized would apply.

Loren Booda said:
Take a really drunken guy, suppose he can walk in all directions possible, and measure how long it takes for the guy to drift away from a starting point. That is related to the number of dimensions. Some people even call it "spectral dimension".

Related to Test for fractional dimensions

What is a test for fractional dimensions?

A test for fractional dimensions is a mathematical tool used to determine the fractal dimension of an object or system. It involves measuring the scaling behavior of the object or system and using that information to calculate its dimension, which can be a non-integer value.

How is the test for fractional dimensions performed?

The test for fractional dimensions is typically performed by plotting the log of the number of smaller copies of an object or system against the log of their size ratio. The slope of this line represents the fractal dimension.

What are some real-world applications of the test for fractional dimensions?

The test for fractional dimensions has been used in various fields, such as physics, biology, and economics, to study and understand complex systems. It has been applied to analyze patterns in natural phenomena, financial market data, and biological structures, among others.

What are the limitations of the test for fractional dimensions?

The test for fractional dimensions may not accurately capture the complexity of highly irregular or self-similar objects. It also relies on the assumption that the object or system being studied is self-similar at all scales, which may not always be the case.

Are there any alternative methods for determining fractional dimensions?

Yes, there are other methods for estimating fractional dimensions, such as box counting and correlation dimension. Each method has its own strengths and limitations, and the most appropriate method to use may vary depending on the specific object or system being studied.