Testing an ABS sensor with a multimeter

In summary: Frequency is just a measure of how often the voltage changes, not what it is measuring.I see - I think my terminology is a little off, then. My meter will set to DC frequency, but this must be what is meant. Frequency is just a measure of how often the voltage changes, not what it is measuring.
Guineafowl
As I understand it, there are two main types of ABS sensor - variable reluctance, two-wire and Hall effect, three-wire.

The sensor I wish to test is the former. My meter has a frequency and duty cycle button, but which range should I use - AC or DC? I plan to test at the sensor plug while spinning the wheel.

Another way to phrase it would be: Does a two-wire ABS sensor produce AC or pulsed DC?

Engineering news on Phys.org
AC

Likes Guineafowl
Averagesupernova said:
AC
Many thanks. So to confirm, I set the meter to AC volts, then frequency, then spin the wheel and watch.

.. and to follow up, I assume a three-wire, Hall effect sensor would need to be plugged in and back-probed to test. Would the output wire of this give a speed-dependent DC voltage?

When testing for something it is generally the practice to expect some kind of result. Do you know the what to expect? Will measuring frequency give you some insight to something? A sensor of this type is typically going to generate a voltage or if defective it simply won't.

Averagesupernova said:
When testing for something it is generally the practice to expect some kind of result. Do you know the what to expect? Will measuring frequency give you some insight to something? A sensor of this type is typically going to generate a voltage or if defective it simply won't.
I'm not entirely sure, that's the problem. A defective ABS sensor (VR type) needs to a) give a signal and b) give a plausible, speed-dependent signal. So I really need to know if a VR sensor signals wheel speed by increasing in voltage or frequency. I suspect it's both.

A 3 wire hall sensor is basically a switch to ground. One wire is ground, another wire receives a positive voltage, 5 volts for instance, and the third wire is a switch that opens and closes to ground as the metal moves past the sensor.

Averagesupernova said:
A 3 wire hall sensor is basically a switch to ground. One wire is ground, another wire receives a positive voltage, 5 volts for instance, and the third wire is a switch that opens and closes to ground as the metal moves past the sensor.
So these sensors should output a duty-cycle variant, pulsed DC to signal speed, correct?

It is strictly frequency dependent assuming the voltage is high enough for the receiving circuits to process.

Guineafowl said:
So these sensors should output a duty-cycle variant, pulsed DC to signal speed, correct?
No, just a square wave. No change in duty cycle as speed changes.

Averagesupernova said:
No, just a square wave. No change in duty cycle ad speed changes.
So DC frequency setting to watch these sensors, then.

Guineafowl said:
So DC frequency setting to watch these sensors, then.
Both AC and DC. Just try some things. You won't hurt anything measuring these voltages. Just don't get your meter over on amps. There will be an AC component as well as DC with output of a hall sensor. However, you won't likely get a reading unless the signal wire is hooked the the circuits on the vehicle. The short answer is that this type of sensor needs a pull up resistor to generate a voltage. After all, a switch that opens and closes can't generate a voltage on its own.

BTW, I don't think you can define a 'DC frequency'.

Averagesupernova said:
BTW, I don't think you can define a 'DC frequency'.
Agreed. I think a 0 to 5V square wave is AC with a DC offset. Not DC that switches between 2 different levels.

Bandit127 said:
Agreed. I think a 0 to 5V square wave is AC with a DC offset. Not DC that switches between 2 different levels.
I see - I think my terminology is a little off, then. My meter will set to DC frequency, but this must be what is meant.

Related to Testing an ABS sensor with a multimeter

1. How do I test an ABS sensor with a multimeter?

To test an ABS sensor with a multimeter, you will need to first locate the sensor on your vehicle. Once located, set your multimeter to the ohms setting and touch the sensor's terminals with the probes. If the reading is within the specified range for your vehicle, the sensor is functioning properly.

2. What should the reading be on a functional ABS sensor?

The reading on a functional ABS sensor will vary depending on the make and model of your vehicle. It is important to consult your vehicle's manual or a repair guide to determine the specific range for your sensor.

3. Can I test an ABS sensor without a multimeter?

While a multimeter is the most accurate way to test an ABS sensor, it is possible to test it without one. You can do a visual inspection of the sensor for any physical damage or corrosion, and also perform a road test to see if the ABS system is functioning properly.

4. What are the common signs of a faulty ABS sensor?

Some common signs of a faulty ABS sensor include the ABS light on the dashboard turning on, the brakes locking up or pulsating while driving, and difficulty stopping in wet or slippery conditions.

5. Can a faulty ABS sensor affect the performance of my vehicle?

Yes, a faulty ABS sensor can affect the performance of your vehicle. The ABS system helps to prevent the wheels from locking up during braking, so if the sensor is not functioning properly, it may cause the brakes to lock up or not engage at all.