The Aesthetics of impossible or unreal physical phenomena

In summary, a MA Design student is looking for collaboration with physicists to create illustrations of speculative/fictional physical events for their project. They are interested in using real or theoretically possible physics to create these illustrations. Potential experiment ideas include exploring parallel universes and the concept of teleportation.
Riccardo Lardi
I know this may not be a typical question for the Physics board.

I am a MA Design student working on a project to illustrate experiments on speculative/fictional physical events. My final work will consist of strongly simplified staged experiment lab situations and should touch on the imaginary and fascinating - 'Science Fiction' basically, rather than 'hard facts'.

Now comes the more tricky part: I'd still like to base some of it on real or at least potentially/theoretically possible physics - and I hope not to be naive and even less ignorant in respect to your work.

So I was wondering if any of you would like to collaborate in this by suggesting hard to imagine outcomes of physical experiments so I can try to illustrate them from a Sci-Fi Design and artistic point of view.

Please again, forgive my naiveness - an example could be a time/space warping experiment. I will set up a staged experiment situation and illustrate the moment of such an event taking place during the experiment in a very simplified way. Another example could be the proofing of an object with only one single property, like a color. What could such an object, whose single property is its color 'look' like and behave in what we believe is reality?

Just let me know your thoughts, or if this is absolutely not in the right place, or if you get totally fed up by such questions - basically any feedback is highly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could have for example a "sci fi" laser vaporizing parts of a spacecraft , and use real world physics to create a picture of how the flow of hot gas, particles, et cetera would look. Or is that not what you mean?

Hello there,

I think your project sounds really interesting and creative! As a physics enthusiast, I am always fascinated by the intersection of science and art. While I am not a physicist myself, I do have some ideas that may be helpful to you.

One potential experiment idea could be exploring the concept of parallel universes. This is a popular topic in science fiction, but there are also theories in physics that suggest the existence of multiple universes. You could imagine a scenario where a group of scientists are attempting to create a portal to a parallel universe and the consequences of that experiment.

Another idea could be to explore the concept of teleportation. This is another common theme in science fiction, but there are also scientific theories about the possibility of teleportation through quantum entanglement. You could create a staged experiment where a person or object is being teleported and illustrate the moment of the teleportation.

I hope these suggestions are helpful to you. Good luck with your project!

Related to The Aesthetics of impossible or unreal physical phenomena

1. What is meant by "The Aesthetics of impossible or unreal physical phenomena"?

"The Aesthetics of impossible or unreal physical phenomena" refers to the study and appreciation of visual representations or descriptions of physical phenomena that are impossible or do not exist in reality. This can include things like optical illusions, impossible objects, and fantastical creatures.

2. Why is the study of these phenomena important?

Studying these phenomena allows us to explore our imagination and creativity, and can also help us better understand our perception and cognition. It can also lead to advancements in art and technology.

3. How do scientists approach the study of impossible or unreal physical phenomena?

Scientists typically use a combination of empirical data, mathematical models, and computer simulations to analyze and understand these phenomena. They also often collaborate with artists and other experts in the field to gain different perspectives.

4. Can these phenomena be explained by science?

While some impossible or unreal physical phenomena may not have a scientific explanation, many can be understood and explained through principles of physics, biology, and other scientific disciplines. However, there are also some phenomena that may remain unexplained or open to interpretation.

5. How do these phenomena impact our understanding of reality?

Studying these phenomena challenges our perceptions of what is possible and real, and can expand our understanding of the world around us. It also raises philosophical questions about the nature of reality and the limits of human perception and knowledge.