The Atomic Mass - Calculating the Weight of Gallium Atoms

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the number of gallium atoms that weigh 69.70 amu when given the average atomic mass of a gallium atom. It is suggested to use a proportion and solve for the ratio of the two gallium isotopes. This ratio can then be multiplied by the total number of atoms to find the number of atoms that weigh 69.70 amu.
rumaithya
The Atomic Mass!

Hello, I have a problem of getting the answer of this question and I still don't understand it. The question is

According to the Periodic Table, the average atomic mass of a gallium atom is 69.72 amu. Naturally occurring gallium has two nuclides ("isotopes"). If you have a pile with 1,700,000,000,000,000,000 atoms of gallium, how many of them will weigh 69.70 amu?

What I though is that the answer is "1,700,000,000,000,000,000" and I thought it's same as when we say we have a red apple and how many red apples are in 1700000000 red apples. That's sounds strange and probbly wrong I'm not sure . Do we have to do this -> 1,700,000,000,000,000,000 / 69.72 to get the answer?

... Any ideas?
Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Find the atomic mass of the two gallium isotopes.

69.72 =[(number of Isotope 1)(atomic mass)+(number of Isotope 2)(atomic mass)] / 1,700,000,000,000,000,000

Solve so that you obtain (number of isotope 1)/(number of isotope 2)

Try to do it yourself first.

The above will be the proportion. For example if the proportion is 1/3 the total percentage of a particular isotope will be either 1/4 or 3/4. Multiply this percentage with 1,700,000,000,000,000,000.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your help :smile:

Related to The Atomic Mass - Calculating the Weight of Gallium Atoms

1. What is atomic mass?

Atomic mass is the mass of an atom, which is measured in atomic mass units (amu). It is the total weight of all the protons, neutrons, and electrons in an atom.

2. How is atomic mass calculated?

Atomic mass is calculated by multiplying the mass of each isotope of the element by its natural abundance and then adding all the results together. For example, to calculate the atomic mass of gallium, we would multiply the mass of each isotope of gallium by its natural abundance and then add the results together.

3. What is the atomic mass of gallium?

The atomic mass of gallium is 69.723 amu (atomic mass units). This value is an average of the masses of all the naturally-occurring isotopes of gallium.

4. Why is atomic mass listed as a decimal number?

Atomic mass is listed as a decimal number because it takes into account the natural abundance of each isotope of an element. In nature, most elements exist as a mixture of isotopes, and each isotope has a slightly different mass. Therefore, the atomic mass is an average of all the isotopes' masses.

5. How is the atomic mass of gallium used in scientific research?

The atomic mass of gallium is used in various scientific research, including chemistry, physics, and engineering. It is an essential factor in determining the properties and behavior of gallium in different reactions and processes. It is also used in the design and analysis of materials that contain gallium, such as semiconductors and solar cells.