The CC and cosmological event horizon radiation

In summary, there is Hawking radiation associated with black hole event horizons, Unruh radiation associated with horizons produced by acceleration, and possibly radiation associated with the cosmological event horizon due to the acceleration of expansion. It is not clear if there is a direct relationship between the radiation and the cosmological constant, but it is known that Killing horizons can emit thermal radiation at a temperature related to their surface gravity. Further research is needed to fully understand the connection between the cosmological constant and the radiation produced by the cosmological event horizon.
friend
There is Hawking radiation associated with black hole event horizons. And there is Unruh radiation associated with horizons produced by acceleration. I've also heard some suggest that there is radiation associated with the cosmological event horizon due to space itself accelerating in its expansion.

My question is would the radiation produced by the cosmological event horizon be equal to the energy of the cosmological constant? It would seem intuitively so, since each point in space is on the cosmological event horizon of some other point in space. If so, is this coincidence? Or is there some necessary relation between the CC and the acceleration of expansion such that it will produce an event horizon with the right area to produce the same radiation energy as the cosmological constant? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
friend said:
This paper seems to suggest all this.

I'm not a cosmologist, but I didn't see anything in the paper that suggests that the cosmological constant and the radiation produced by the cosmological event horizon are related. What exactly in the paper suggests a link between the two?

Drakkith said:
[...] I didn't see anything in the paper that suggests that the cosmological constant and the radiation produced by the cosmological event horizon are related. [...]
In general, Killing horizons are associated with emission of thermal radiation at a temperature related to a property of the horizon known as "surface gravity". Some Killing horizons (such as the ordinary light cone in Minkowski space) have zero surface gravity, hence emit no thermal radiation. In contrast, the cosmological Killing horizon in de Sitter space at ##r = \sqrt{3/\Lambda}## emits thermal radiation with temperature proportional to ##\sqrt{\Lambda}##.

For more realistic FLRW-like universes, the situation is more complicated, since more than one kind of horizon can exist (e.g., particle horizon, event horizon, apparent horizon, etc). I'm finding the following book quite good (I'm still digesting it) as it contains a lot of relevant information, with a modern perspective. The Gibbons and Hawking paper from 1977 is just an early contribution to this large subject.

V. Faraoni, "Cosmological and Black Hole Apparent Horizons",
Springer Lecture Notes in Physics, 2015, ISBN 978-3-319-19239-0

Last edited:
Likes Drakkith
I see. Thanks, Strangerep.

strangerep said:
V. Faraoni, "Cosmological and Black Hole Apparent Horizons",
Springer Lecture Notes in Physics, 2015, ISBN 978-3-319-19239-0

Yes, thank you.

Related to The CC and cosmological event horizon radiation

1. What is the CC and cosmological event horizon radiation?

The CC (cosmological constant) is a term used in Einstein's theory of general relativity to represent the energy density of space. The cosmological event horizon is the boundary beyond which light cannot reach us due to the expansion of the universe. The cosmological event horizon radiation refers to the radiation emitted from objects beyond the event horizon that we cannot observe.

2. How does the CC affect the expansion of the universe?

The CC has a repulsive effect on the fabric of space, causing the expansion of the universe to accelerate. This acceleration is known as dark energy and is responsible for the continued expansion of the universe.

3. Can we observe the CC and cosmological event horizon radiation?

No, we cannot directly observe the CC or cosmological event horizon radiation. The event horizon acts as a barrier, preventing any information or radiation from reaching us. However, we can indirectly study the effects of the CC and event horizon through observations of the universe's expansion.

4. How does the CC and cosmological event horizon radiation relate to the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory states that the universe began in a hot and dense state and has been expanding ever since. The CC and cosmological event horizon radiation are important factors in understanding the expansion of the universe and the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is considered to be the residual radiation from the Big Bang.

5. Is there any evidence for the existence of the CC and cosmological event horizon radiation?

Yes, there is evidence from various observations, including the cosmic microwave background radiation, the acceleration of the universe's expansion, and the distribution of galaxies. These pieces of evidence support the existence of the CC and event horizon radiation, although we cannot directly observe them.