The degree of order in the Universe

In summary: This concentration of matter has resulted in the emergence of structures like galaxies and clusters of galaxies.* Subscribes*
revo74
In a video on YouTube, Roger Penrose says the Universe was not chaotic, but extremely ordered/organized and special at its original state. He said the Second Law of Thermodynamics tells us that as time passes our Universe becomes more disordered, therefore, if we were to go back in time things would be more and more organized. He said the figure describing this initial state would be at least 1^123. The video is bellow, begin at 4:50:

My questions are:

a. Is he right and if so has that figure been confirmed?
b. Is he suggesting that the percentage of the Universe was more organized in its initial or even early states than it is now or that there simply was less entropy. The reason why I ask this is because when I asked someone why the Universe had low entropy at the beginning he responded:

"The initial low entropy at the beginning of the universe can have two reasons: the universe at that time was highly complex, but the entropy was low, or the universe at that time was very simple, such that it couldn't hold much entropy in the first place. As you learned in thermodynamics, entropy is an extrinsic property — it depends on the size of the system. The smaller the system, the less entropy it can hold. What was true at the beginning of the universe? It was small, and as such, could hold only a tiny fraction of the entropy it can hold today."

Please elaborate further if you wish.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I am interested with this finding too.
* Subscribes*

revo74 said:
a. Is he right and if so has that figure been confirmed?
I couldn't say, I would begin to try to gainsay Penrose.
b. Is he suggesting that the percentage of the Universe was more organized in its initial or even early states than it is now or that there simply was less entropy.
The latter. The early universe was highly homogeneous and thermalized, so there wasn't much organization there.
The reason why I ask this is because when I asked someone why the Universe had low entropy at the beginning he responded:

"The initial low entropy at the beginning of the universe can have two reasons: the universe at that time was highly complex, but the entropy was low, or the universe at that time was very simple, such that it couldn't hold much entropy in the first place. As you learned in thermodynamics, entropy is an extrinsic property — it depends on the size of the system. The smaller the system, the less entropy it can hold. What was true at the beginning of the universe? It was small, and as such, could hold only a tiny fraction of the entropy it can hold today."
I don't know, but it sounds like this person has an incorrect understanding of the meaning of "extrinsic." Entropy is extrinsic because it depends on the amount of stuff, not because it depends on the volume. If you adiabatically expand a gas against a piston, its entropy stays constant, no matter how "big" the compartment gets.

Indeed, this raises an important point about entropy-- if the cosmological principle were strictly true on all scales, so things stayed homogeneous as the universe expanded, then the entropy of the universe would not increase at all (ignoring details like recombination and reionization). The reason it does increase is that we have gravity, and the gravitational instability, so when things clump together, a lot of heat is let out of the genie's bottle. So it's just the opposite of what you might be imagining-- the "organization" results in an increase in entropy, as gravitational potential energy is converted into heat or light. The maximum entropy is achieved by dropping everything into black holes.

Another way of putting it is the universe used to be smooth, and now it is chunky.

Chronos said:
Another way of putting it is the universe used to be smooth, and now it is chunky.

So when Penrose talks about the geometry of the Universe, do you think this is what he is referring to?

Yes. The geometry of the universe is strongly affected by gravity and matter is the source of gravity. Shortly after the big bang matter/energy was evenly spread throughout the universe. It has since become increasingly concentrated in small areas surrounded by increasingly vast amounts of empty space.

Related to The degree of order in the Universe

1. How is the degree of order in the Universe measured?

The degree of order in the Universe is measured through a concept known as entropy. Entropy is a measure of the randomness or disorder in a system. The higher the entropy, the more disorder and less order there is in the system.

2. What factors contribute to the degree of order in the Universe?

The degree of order in the Universe is influenced by various factors such as gravity, thermodynamics, and the laws of physics. These factors determine the formation and organization of matter and energy in the Universe.

3. Is the degree of order in the Universe constant?

No, the degree of order in the Universe is not constant. It is constantly changing and evolving due to various natural processes and forces. For example, the expansion of the Universe and the formation of galaxies and stars affect the degree of order.

4. How does the degree of order in the Universe relate to the concept of the "arrow of time"?

The degree of order in the Universe is closely linked to the concept of the "arrow of time". This concept states that the Universe moves in a specific direction, from a state of order to a state of disorder. This is known as the second law of thermodynamics and is reflected in the increase of entropy over time.

5. What implications does the degree of order in the Universe have for the future of the Universe?

The degree of order in the Universe has significant implications for the future. As the Universe continues to expand and entropy increases, it is predicted that the Universe will eventually reach a state of maximum disorder, known as the heat death of the Universe. This will result in the end of all life and the Universe itself.