The systems which allow only one process execution at a time, are what?

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion surrounding the terms unitasking, multiprogramming, and uniprogramming in the context of operating systems. The main issue is the author of the question incorrectly using the term "processor" instead of "process," which leads to an inconsistent explanation of the correct answer. The conversation also questions whether a uniprogramming system can run more than one process per core. It is advised to seek out a better resource for learning about operating systems.
s3a
Homework Statement
QUESTION:
"The systems which allow only one process execution at a time, are called __________
a) uniprogramming systems
b) uniprocessing systems
c) unitasking systems
d) none of the mentioned"

SUPPOSEDLY CORRECT ANSWER+EXPLANATION:
"Answer: b

Explanation: Those systems which allows more than one process execution at a time, are called multiprogramming systems. Uniprocessing means only one processor."
Relevant Equations
* Definition of uniprogramming systems from here ( http://www.itrelease.com/2018/07/difference-between-multiprogramming-and-uniprogramming/ ) (with parentheses added by me - I'm omitting square brackets around the parentheses, since that makes the text uglier): "In Uniprogramming only one program sits in main memory so it has a small size. (But in the case of multiprogramming main memory needs more space.) Uniprogramming system runs smoothly as only one task is run at a time. The slow processor can also work well in Uniprogramming (but in multiprogramming processor needs to be fast). (In multiprogramming large space of RAM is needed.) Fixed size partition is used in Uniprogramming. (Both fixed and variable size partition can be used in multiprogramming systems.)"

* Definition of uniprocessing systems: "Uniprocessing means only one processor."

* Definition of unitasking systems: My teacher said that multitasking was multiprogramming, for each simultaneous user (and there could be more than one simultaneous user), so I'm assuming that unitasking just means uniprogramming or multiprogramming for one user at a time, but I can't find anything regarding that terminology online that's related to computers.
MY CONFUSION (WHICH IS WHAT THIS POST IS ABOUT):
* The reason why c is not the correct answer is because unitasking just means a system that has one simulatenous user, right? In other words, a unitasking system can still be a multiprogramming system, such that one simultaneous user has the illusion that he or she is running multiple processes at once per core of any given CPU in the system, for example, right? Actually, a multiprogramming system also just runs one process at a time, technically speaking. Can a uniprogramming system run more than one process, in a way that's just one process per core?

* I can see why b is correct, but why is a incorrect? It seems to me that a uniprogramming system would also execute just one process at a time, even if the system has more than one CPU or more than one CPU core. As asked in the bullet point above, can a uniprogramming system run more than one process, in a way that's just one process per core?

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!

P.S.
If it matters, I got the question from here ( https://www.sanfoundry.com/operating-system-questions-answers-processes/ ), which was in turn obtained from here ( https://www.sanfoundry.com/operating-system-questions-answers/ ).

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a terrible question, and the explanation of the 'correct' answer is not even internally consistent.

The problem stems from the author of the question confusing the term processor, which refers to a piece of hardware, with the term process, which is a software concept.

If you have the option, learn from a better resource.

Likes Tom.G and berkeman

Related to The systems which allow only one process execution at a time, are what?

What is a single-process execution system?

A single-process execution system is a type of operating system or computer architecture that allows only one process to be executed at a time. This means that the processor can only work on one task at a time, which helps to ensure that each task is completed in a timely and efficient manner.

What is the purpose of a single-process execution system?

The purpose of a single-process execution system is to prevent multiple processes from interfering with each other and causing errors or delays. By allowing only one process to be executed at a time, the system can ensure that each process has access to the necessary resources and can run smoothly without any interruptions.

How does a single-process execution system work?

A single-process execution system works by using a scheduling algorithm to determine which process should be executed next. Once a process is chosen, it is given access to the processor and any necessary resources, and it continues to run until it is finished or until it is interrupted by another process.

What are the benefits of a single-process execution system?

One of the main benefits of a single-process execution system is that it allows for efficient use of resources. By only allowing one process to run at a time, the system can prioritize tasks and ensure that each one is completed without any delays or conflicts. This can also help to prevent errors and improve the overall performance of the system.

Are there any drawbacks to a single-process execution system?

One potential drawback of a single-process execution system is that it may not be suitable for certain types of tasks or systems. For example, in a multi-user environment, where multiple users need to access the system simultaneously, a single-process execution system may not be the most efficient choice. Additionally, if a process requires a lot of resources or has a long execution time, it may cause delays for other processes waiting to be executed.