Thermodynamics -- calculating fluid mass

In summary, the conversation discusses a question regarding Thermodynamics from a book called Applied Thermodynamics for Engineering Technologist (5th Edition). The question involves a reversible compression and heating process of a fluid and the calculation of the mass, the value of n, and the net work of the cycle. The specific volume given in the problem is corrected to be 0.5 instead of 0.05, and the solution involves using the specific volume to find the unknown volume using the given formulas. The conversation ends with the answer being successfully calculated and the person expressing gratitude for the help.
BurningUrge
This is quite possibly very basic, but I have a horrible habit of forgetting basics as I move up the ladder in difficulty during the semester. This is a question regarding Thermodynamics, taken from Chapter 1; Introduction and the First Law of Thermodynamics of the book Applied Thermodynamics for Engineering Technologist (5th Edition).

I am including the whole question just to avoid any misunderstandings.

Homework Statement

A fluid at 0.7 bar occupying 0.09m3 is compressed reversibly to a pressure of 3.5 bar according to law pvn = constant. The fluid is then heated reversibly at constant volume until the pressure is 4 bar; the spesific volume is then 0.05m3 / kg. A reversible expansion according to a law pv2 = constant restores the fluid to its initial state. Sketch the cycle to a p-v diagram and calculate:

i) The mass of fluid present (THIS is the one I cannot seem to figure out.. basics be damned)
ii) the value of n in the first process.
iii) the net work of the cycle.

Homework Equations

It is a fluid, not explicitly stated to be gas or liquid, so the basic pv = nRT doesn't necessarily apply here.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stumped, really. I have the answer (0.0753 kg) but I cannot figure out how to get to it.

Physics news on Phys.org
BurningUrge said:
Sketch the cycle to a p-v diagram and calculate:
Did you do that?

To get the mass, you will need to use the specific volume given.

BurningUrge said:
I have the answer (0.0753 kg) but I cannot figure out how to get to it.
I just calculated it myself, and I'm off by a factor of 10. Could you please check all the numerical values you have given in the problem?

Okay, so I rechecked the values, and the Spesific volume is meant to be 0.5, NOT 0.05. One slight tap too much on the 0 there.

Also, I did sketch the p-v diagram, yes. I'm pretty sure I got the understanding of how the process looks.

And when you say that I need to use Spesific volume, it strikes me how stupid I have actually been trying to figure this out. With that in mind, which formula would you suggest looking into for calculating the mass when I don't actually have the current volume? It's a pvn = constant, so I can't figure it out with the p1V1 = p2V2

BurningUrge said:
Okay, so I rechecked the values, and the Spesific volume is meant to be 0.5, NOT 0.05. One slight tap too much on the 0 there.
Good, then I get the correct result.

BurningUrge said:
Also, I did sketch the p-v diagram, yes. I'm pretty sure I got the understanding of how the process looks.
Then you should see that there are two processes that link the initial state to the unknown volume.

DrClaude said:
Then you should see that there are two processes that link the initial state to the unknown volume.

Yes there is. The 1 -> 2 and 3 ->4 both link the process from the initial volume to the unknown. Does it have anything to do with the pv2 = constant that is the exponent for the revesible process happening in 3 -> 4?

Or put in this way, I can figure out the volume using p1V12 = p3V32, where V3 = V2

BurningUrge said:
Or put in this way, I can figure out the volume using p1V12 = p3V32
Correct.

Then I have my answer and I am greatly appreciative of your help. Thank you very much!

Related to Thermodynamics -- calculating fluid mass

1. How is fluid mass calculated in thermodynamics?

Fluid mass can be calculated using the formula: mass = density x volume. In thermodynamics, the density of a fluid is often assumed to be constant, so the mass can be calculated simply by multiplying the density by the volume of the fluid.

2. What is the significance of calculating fluid mass in thermodynamics?

Calculating fluid mass is important in thermodynamics because it allows scientists to understand the behavior of fluids in different systems. It is a crucial factor in determining the energy transfer and work done by a fluid, as well as the pressure and temperature changes in a system.

3. How does thermodynamics relate to the calculation of fluid mass?

Thermodynamics is the study of energy and its transformation in systems. Fluid mass is an important factor in thermodynamics because it affects the energy transfer and work done by a fluid. By understanding the fluid mass, scientists can better analyze and predict the behavior of fluids in different systems.

4. What are the units of measurement for fluid mass in thermodynamics?

The units of measurement for fluid mass in thermodynamics are typically kilograms (kg) or grams (g), depending on the scale of the system being studied. It is important to use consistent units of mass when calculating and analyzing thermodynamic processes.

5. How can fluid mass be measured in a laboratory setting?

Fluid mass can be measured in a laboratory by using a scale or balance to measure the weight of the fluid. This weight can then be used to calculate the mass, or the volume can be measured using a graduated cylinder and multiplied by the density of the fluid to obtain the mass.