Thermodynamics- Charging an air tank

In summary: Thanks for your help. In summary, the tank initially has 20 psia and 70F of air. The tank is filled to 120 psia and the temperature is calculated to be 133.86°F.
MacLaddy
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A scuba diver's 2ft3 air tank is to be filled with air from a compressed air line at 120 psia and 100F. Initially, the air in this tank is at 20 psia and 70F. Presuming that the tank is well insulated, determine the temperature and mass in the tank when it is filled to 120 psia.

Homework Equations

[tex]m_ih_i = m_2u_2 - m_1u_1[/tex]

From my property tables booklet.

[tex]h_1 = 133.86 Btu/lbm[/tex]
[tex]u_1 = 90.33 Btu/lbm[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Not entirely sure where to take this. If I do just a mass balance I'll get [itex]m_i = m_2-m_1[/itex], but I'm not sure how this will help me.

If I could do an energy balance like this [itex]h_i=u_2-u_1[/itex], then it would be fairly simple to solve for the internal energy at the second state, and find the temperature. However, I don't think that's a legal move.

I've played with specific volumes, tried to find flow rates, and played with the Ideal Gas Law.

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks,
Mac

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you Mod's for moving this to the appropriate forum. I wasn't sure exactly what category Thermodynamics fell into.

MacLaddy said:

Homework Statement

A scuba diver's 2ft3 air tank is to be filled with air from a compressed air line at 120 psia and 100F. Initially, the air in this tank is at 20 psia and 70F. Presuming that the tank is well insulated, determine the temperature and mass in the tank when it is filled to 120 psia.

Homework Equations

[tex]m_ih_i = m_2u_2 - m_1u_1[/tex]

From my property tables booklet.

[tex]h_1 = 133.86 Btu/lbm[/tex]
[tex]u_1 = 90.33 Btu/lbm[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Not entirely sure where to take this. If I do just a mass balance I'll get [itex]m_i = m_2-m_1[/itex], but I'm not sure how this will help me.

If I could do an energy balance like this [itex]h_i=u_2-u_1[/itex], then it would be fairly simple to solve for the internal energy at the second state, and find the temperature. However, I don't think that's a legal move.

I've played with specific volumes, tried to find flow rates, and played with the Ideal Gas Law.

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks,
Mac
How much mass m1 is in the tank to start with? Let mi represent the mass of air injected into the tank. How many moles are in the tank at the beginning and, in terms of mi, how many moles are in the tank at the end? Call T the final temperature. Use the ideal gas law to calculate the value of T in terms of mi. Now you only have 1 unknown. u2 is a function of T, which in turn is a function of mi. So use your equation [itex]m_ih_i = m_2u_2 - m_1u_1[/itex] and your table to solve for mi.

Incidentally, considering the magnitude of the pressure, maybe you're not comfortable using the ideal gas law. If your table has specific volume as a function of temperature and pressure, you can use that instead.

Chet

Last edited:

Related to Thermodynamics- Charging an air tank

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of heat and its relationship to other forms of energy. It explains how energy is transferred between different systems and how it can be converted from one form to another.

2. How does charging an air tank involve thermodynamics?

Charging an air tank involves thermodynamics because it is a process of compressing air, which involves the transfer of heat and energy. This process follows the principles of thermodynamics, such as conservation of energy and the laws of thermodynamics.

3. What happens to the temperature of the air inside the tank during the charging process?

During the charging process, the temperature of the air inside the tank increases due to the compression of the air molecules. This is because as the air is compressed, the molecules collide more frequently, creating heat energy.

4. What is the ideal gas law and how does it relate to charging an air tank?

The ideal gas law is a fundamental law of thermodynamics that relates the pressure, volume, and temperature of an ideal gas. It can be used to calculate the change in temperature of the air inside the tank during the charging process, as well as other properties such as the amount of air needed to fill the tank.

5. Are there any safety concerns when charging an air tank?

Yes, there are safety concerns when charging an air tank. The process involves high pressure and can be dangerous if not done properly. It is important to follow safety guidelines and use appropriate equipment to prevent accidents. Additionally, the temperature of the air inside the tank can increase significantly, so it is important to allow the tank to cool down before handling it.