Thermodynamics: Liquid-Vapour Mixture Internal Energy

In summary: So 0.75*u is (1 - x)*(uf + ug). We can then solve this equation for x, the dryness fraction. I get x = 0.863.So the dryness fraction is 0.863, or 86.3%.In summary, the problem asks to calculate the dryness fraction of a sample of wet steam at 11 bar, where 75% of the total internal energy is contained in the vapor portion. Using the equation u(kJ/kg) = (1-x)uf + x*ug and assuming uf = 780 kJ/kg and ug = 2586 kJ
Sirsh

Homework Statement

In a sample of wet steam at 11 bar, 75% of the total internal energy is contained in the vapour portion. Calculate the dryness fraction of the steam to 3 decimal places.

Homework Equations

u(kJ/kg) = (1-x)uf + x*ug

x - dryness fraction
f - saturated liquid state
g - saturated vapour state

The Attempt at a Solution

I have done the following to no avail:

At 11 bar using steam tables uf = 780 kJ/kg and ug = 2568 kj/kg

Assuming u = 75% of ug.

u = (1-x)uf + x*ug
0.75*ug = (1-x)uf + x*ug
0.75*2568 = (1-x)*(780) + x*(2568)
x = 0.642

Therefore, dryness fraction is equal to 0.642.

However this is incorrect and I'm unsure what I'm doing wrong. Possibly interpreting the 75% of total internal energy wrong.

Could it be that I need to use u = 0.25*uf + 0.75*ug?

Thanks for your help, it's appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sirsh said:

Homework Statement

In a sample of wet steam at 11 bar, 75% of the total internal energy is contained in the vapour portion. Calculate the dryness fraction of the steam to 3 decimal places.

Homework Equations

x - dryness fraction

Assuming u = 75% of ug.

u = (1-x)uf + x*ug
0.75*ug = (1-x)uf + x*ug
0.75*2568 = (1-x)*(780) + x*(2568)
x = 0.642

Therefore, dryness fraction is equal to 0.642.

However this is incorrect and I'm unsure what I'm doing wrong. Possibly interpreting the 75% of total internal energy wrong.

Could it be that I need to use u = 0.25*uf + 0.75*ug?

Thanks for your help, it's appreciated.
Nice work, but unnecessary.

Review the definition of vapor quality:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vapor_quality

Now can you tell what the dryness fraction of the steam is if 75% of the internal energy is in the vapor?

SteamKing said:
Nice work, but unnecessary.

Review the definition of vapor quality:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vapor_quality

Now can you tell what the dryness fraction of the steam is if 75% of the internal energy is in the vapor?

I read the article but am still a bit confused.

Im thinking that the dryness fraction should be 0.75 as if it was 100% of internal energy in the vapor it'd be 1.0 and if 0% in the vapor it would be 0.0, is this thinking correct?

Thank you for your response.

Sirsh said:
I read the article but am still a bit confused.

Im thinking that the dryness fraction should be 0.75 as if it was 100% of internal energy in the vapor it'd be 1.0 and if 0% in the vapor it would be 0.0, is this thinking correct?

Thank you for your response.
The dryness fraction represents that fraction of the steam which is vapor. If you have steam which is all vapor, then the dryness fraction is 1.0 by definition.

SteamKing said:
The dryness fraction represents that fraction of the steam which is vapor. If you have steam which is all vapor, then the dryness fraction is 1.0 by definition.

X = internal energy of vapor / total internal energy

X = (0.75*ug)/(uf+ug)
X = (0.75*2568)/(780+2568)
X = 0.58

Some reason I'm not confident with this, though it would be reasonable given a mass instead of internal energy..

Sirsh said:
X = internal energy of vapor / total internal energy

X = (0.75*ug)/(uf+ug)
X = (0.75*2568)/(780+2568)
X = 0.58

Some reason I'm not confident with this, though it would be reasonable given a mass instead of internal energy..
The OP stated that 75% of the total internal energy was from the vapor, not 75% of the internal energy of the vapor, which is what 0.75*2568 represents...

The total internal energy of 1 kg of steam cannot be (780 + 2586) kJ/kg, since that would mean this sample is composed of 100% liquid and 100% vapor, a physical impossibility.

BTW, my steam tables say that ug = 2586 kJ/kg

I have a real issue with this problem statement. In particular, I have a problem with treating the internal energy as if it has an absolute quantity. The internal energy in the steam tables is specified relative to liquid water at 0 C, and is thus a relative quantity. If we adopt a different reference temperature for zero internal energy, the answer to this problem changes.

Chet

SteamKing said:
The OP stated that 75% of the total internal energy was from the vapor, not 75% of the internal energy of the vapor, which is what 0.75*2568 represents...

The total internal energy of 1 kg of steam cannot be (780 + 2586) kJ/kg, since that would mean this sample is composed of 100% liquid and 100% vapor, a physical impossibility.

BTW, my steam tables say that ug = 2586 kJ/kg

So would the total internal energy be equal to: 0.25*uf + 0.75*ug? This would represent 75% of the internal energy from the vapor and 25% of the internal energy from the liquid.

If that's correct, then would the mass of the total vapor be 0.75*ug so;

X = (0.75*ug)/(0.75*ug+0.25*uf)
X = (0.75*2568) / (0.75*2568+0.25*780)
X = 0.91

Sirsh said:
So would the total internal energy be equal to: 0.25*uf + 0.75*ug? This would represent 75% of the internal energy from the vapor and 25% of the internal energy from the liquid.

If that's correct, then would the mass of the total vapor be 0.75*ug so;

X = (0.75*ug)/(0.75*ug+0.25*uf)
X = (0.75*2568) / (0.75*2568+0.25*780)
X = 0.91
Let's start over with the analysis of what the problem statement says:

Sirsh said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

x - dryness fraction

I agree that uf = 780 kJ/kg; but my tables show ug = 2586 kJ/kg, rather than 2568 kJ/kg (I think the last two digits got transposed somehow)

Assuming u = 75% of ug.

u = (1-x)uf + x*ug

I agree up to here.

0.75*ug = (1-x)uf + x*ug

The problem wants 75% of the total internal energy to come from the internal energy of the vapor portion.

So what you must do is:
1. Translate "75% of the total internal energy" into an algebraic formula.
2. Translate "internal energy of the vapor portion" into an algebraic formula.
Solve the two equations for the dryness faction X which makes both statements true.

SteamKing said:
Let's start over with the analysis of what the problem statement says:
I agree that uf = 780 kJ/kg; but my tables show ug = 2586 kJ/kg, rather than 2568 kJ/kg (I think the last two digits got transposed somehow)
I agree up to here.
The problem wants 75% of the total internal energy to come from the internal energy of the vapor portion.

So what you must do is:
1. Translate "75% of the total internal energy" into an algebraic formula.
2. Translate "internal energy of the vapor portion" into an algebraic formula.
Solve the two equations for the dryness faction X which makes both statements true.

If 75% of the total internal energy is from the vapor then the rest of the internal energy (25%) comes from the liquid.

Can we not just do:

u(total) = 0.25*uf + 0.75*ug

If u(total) = (1-x)*uf + x*ug,

then x is just 0.75?

Thanks for your help

Sirsh said:
If 75% of the total internal energy is from the vapor then the rest of the internal energy (25%) comes from the liquid.

Can we not just do:

u(total) = 0.25*uf + 0.75*ug

If u(total) = (1-x)*uf + x*ug,

then x is just 0.75?

Thanks for your help
No. $$\frac{xu_g}{(1-x)u_f+xu_g}=0.75$$
Does that make sense?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
No. $$\frac{xu_g}{(1-x)u_f+xu_g}=0.75$$
Does that make sense?

Chet

That makes complete sense, thank you!

@SteamKing thank you for all your help it's very appreciated.

I end up with a dryness fraction, x, of 0.148.

Doesn't this signify that the mixture is 14.8% vapour and 85.15% liquid?

Sirsh said:
I end up with a dryness fraction, x, of 0.148.

Doesn't this signify that the mixture is 14.8% vapour and 85.15% liquid?
I think you've messed up your arithmetic. Did you plug your value of X back into the formula in Post #11?

Likes Sirsh
SteamKing said:
I think you've messed up your arithmetic. Did you plug your value of X back into the formula in Post #11?

Ah yes, I had a negative where a positive should have been. I solved it and got the dryness fraction to be equal to 0.475.

Thank you very much.

Related to Thermodynamics: Liquid-Vapour Mixture Internal Energy

1. What is meant by internal energy in a liquid-vapour mixture?

Internal energy in a liquid-vapour mixture refers to the total energy contained within the system, including both kinetic and potential energy of the molecules. This energy is a result of the interactions between the molecules and determines the temperature and phase of the mixture.

2. How does the internal energy of a liquid-vapour mixture change during a phase transition?

During a phase transition, the internal energy of a liquid-vapour mixture remains constant. This is because the energy is used to break the bonds between molecules during the transition, rather than increasing the temperature or kinetic energy of the molecules.

3. Can the internal energy of a liquid-vapour mixture be measured?

Yes, the internal energy of a liquid-vapour mixture can be measured using thermodynamic techniques such as calorimetry. By measuring the heat flow into or out of the system, the change in internal energy can be calculated.

4. How does temperature affect the internal energy of a liquid-vapour mixture?

As the temperature of a liquid-vapour mixture increases, the internal energy also increases. This is because the molecules have more kinetic energy and are moving faster, resulting in a higher internal energy.

5. How does pressure affect the internal energy of a liquid-vapour mixture?

Pressure does not directly affect the internal energy of a liquid-vapour mixture. However, changes in pressure can result in phase transitions and therefore changes in internal energy. For example, an increase in pressure can cause a liquid to transition to a gas, increasing the internal energy of the system.