Thermodynamics refrigeration Problem

In summary, the problem involves finding the size of a compressor for a refrigeration system in a production facility that will cool water from 22 C to 8 C and supply it at a rate of 0.4 L per hour per person. The COP of the refrigeration system is given to be 2.9 and the heat transfer rate from the surroundings is 45 W. The first step is to determine the mass flow rate of the water, which is 0.00222 kg/s using the density of water. The next step is to use the COP equation to set up an energy balance and solve for the size of the compressor.
Bebalo
Hey, I'm having a bit of trouble with a Thermo problem on a homework assignment. The problem is:

6-138 (Thermodynamics: An Engineering Approach, 5th Edition)

The drinking water needs of a production facility with 20 employees is to be met by a bobbler type water fountain. The refrigerated water fountain is to cool water from 22 C to 8 C and supply cold water at a rate of 0.4 L per hour per person. Heat is transferred to the reservoir from the surroundings at 25 C at a rate of 45 W. If the COP of the refrigeration system is 2.9, determine the size of the compressor, in W, that will be suitable for the refrigeration system of this water cooler.

Using the density of water, I first determined the mass flow rate of the water to be 0.00222 kg/s.

I know that I can use COP=(Ql)/(Qh-Ql)=(Ql)/(Win).

I think the next step I need to take is to set up an energy balance (Sum Ein = Sum Eexit) but I'm not entirely sure how to complete this step.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The rate of Ql is [itex]\dot{m}\,c_p\,\Delta{T}[/itex] ,
and you know COP, and heat out to environment, 45 W.

Last edited:

Hello there,

I can see that you have already made some good progress in solving this thermodynamics refrigeration problem. Your approach of using the COP equation and determining the mass flow rate of water is correct.

To complete the problem, you are correct in using an energy balance equation. This will help you determine the power of the compressor needed for the refrigeration system. The energy balance equation is:

Qh = Win + Ql

Where Qh is the heat absorbed by the refrigerant in the evaporator, Win is the work input to the compressor, and Ql is the heat rejected by the refrigerant in the condenser.

To solve for the power of the compressor (Win), you can rearrange the COP equation as:

Win = Ql x (COP - 1)

Substituting the values given in the problem, we get:

Win = (0.00222 kg/s) x (2.9 - 1) x (22 C - 8 C)

Solving for Win, we get a power of approximately 0.014 W. This is the power required for the compressor to meet the cooling needs of the water fountain.

I hope this helps you complete your homework assignment. Remember to always use the appropriate equations and units when solving thermodynamics problems. Best of luck!

Related to Thermodynamics refrigeration Problem

What is thermodynamics refrigeration problem?

Thermodynamics refrigeration problem is a problem that deals with the transfer of heat from a lower temperature region to a higher temperature region, against the natural flow of heat. It involves understanding the principles of thermodynamics, such as the laws of thermodynamics and entropy, to design and analyze refrigeration systems.

What are the different types of refrigeration systems?

The two main types of refrigeration systems are vapor compression and absorption refrigeration systems. Vapor compression systems use a compressor to compress and condense refrigerant gases, while absorption systems use a combination of heat and a refrigerant-absorbent pair to generate cooling.

What is the Coefficient of Performance (COP) in refrigeration systems?

The Coefficient of Performance (COP) is a measure of the efficiency of a refrigeration system. It is the ratio of the amount of heat removed from the refrigerated space to the amount of work required to remove that heat. A higher COP indicates a more efficient system.

What is the Carnot refrigeration cycle?

The Carnot refrigeration cycle is a theoretical cycle that represents the most efficient way to transfer heat from a lower temperature region to a higher temperature region. It involves four processes: isothermal expansion, adiabatic expansion, isothermal compression, and adiabatic compression.

What are some common applications of refrigeration systems?

Refrigeration systems are commonly used in various industries and applications, including food preservation, air conditioning, medical and pharmaceutical storage, chemical and petrochemical processing, and cryogenics. They are also used in transportation, such as refrigerated trucks and containers for transporting perishable goods.