Thermodynamics-using ideal gas table

In summary, the problem involves determining the change in specific entropy between two states using the ideal gas model. The first method involves using an appropriate ideal gas table, while the second method uses a constant specific heat from Table A-20. The answers for each part are provided, with the first value being from the first method and the second value from the second method. For part A, the answer is 0.24289 kJ/kgK and 0.2431 kJ/kgK. For part B, the answer is 0.47632 kJ/kgK and 0.47684 kJ/kgK. For part C, the answer is 0.4769 kJ/kgK and 0.4862
alberto23
thermodynamics--using ideal gas table

problem says:

6.25 employing the ideal gas model, determine the change in specific entropy between the indicated states, in kJ/kg K. Solve 2 ways: use the appropriate ideal gas table, and a constant specific heat from Table A-20.

(a) air, p1 = 100 kPa, T1 = 20°C → p2 = 100 kPa, T2 = 100°C
(b) air, p1 = 1 bar, T1 = 27°C → p2 = 3 bar, T2 = 377°C
(c) carbon dioxide, p1 = 150 kPa, T1 = 30°C, p2 = 300 kPa, T2 = 300°C
(d) carbon monoxide, T1 = 300K, v1 = 1.1 m3/kg → T2 = 500K, v2 = 0.75 m3/kg
(e) nitrogen, p1 = 2 Mpa, T1 = 800K → p2 = 1 Mpa, T2 = 300K

answers are:
A) 0.24289, 0.2431
B) 0.47632, 0.47684
C) 0.4769, 0.4862
D) 0.2701, 0.2696
E) -0.8373, -0.8389

i did part A fine and got the right asnwer. solving using the first method (appropriate ideal gas table)--which is table A22 in my book (fundamentals of thermodynamics edition 5). you just have to convert temp to kelvin and match it up with the corresponding "s" value. the exact values aren't on table so i had to interpolate. then i did s2-s1 and got the right answer. solving using the second method (Table A20--"ideal gas specific heats of some common gasses"), i used the temperatures to find the cp values. then i averaged the 2 cp values together and used the formula (delta)s=cp*ln(T2/T1). this gave me the right answer.

but...for part B, it is not constant pressure and it doesn't say if its constant volume or not, so i don't know how to use the specific heat table for this.

if you can help me...thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
try

[tex]\Delta s\, =\, c_p\, ln\, \frac{T_2}{T_1}\, -\, R\, ln\, \frac{P_2}{P_1} [/tex]

remembering R = [itex] c_p - c_v [/itex]

astronuc, thanks for the help. i found that formula in my book burried in a page of derivations. I'm pretty sure its the right one because my answers were very very close to the ones given. thanks!

Related to Thermodynamics-using ideal gas table

1. What is thermodynamics and how does it relate to ideal gas tables?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, work, temperature, and energy. Ideal gas tables are used in thermodynamics to calculate properties of gases at different temperatures and pressures.

2. What is an ideal gas table?

An ideal gas table is a chart that displays the properties of an ideal gas, such as pressure, volume, temperature, and density, at different combinations of temperature and pressure values.

3. How do you use an ideal gas table in thermodynamics?

An ideal gas table can be used to calculate the values of different thermodynamic properties, such as internal energy, enthalpy, and specific heat, for a given gas at different temperatures and pressures.

4. What is the difference between an ideal gas and a real gas?

An ideal gas follows the ideal gas law, which assumes that the gas particles have no volume and do not interact with each other. In reality, gases do have volume and interact with each other, so they do not always follow the ideal gas law.

5. Are ideal gas tables accurate for all gases?

No, ideal gas tables are only accurate for gases that behave like ideal gases, meaning they follow the ideal gas law. Real gases, such as those with high pressures or low temperatures, may deviate from the ideal gas law and require more complex calculations.