Thermodynamics : Work in a Cyclic Process

In summary, the problem involves three moles of an ideal gas undergoing a cycle ABC, with process AC at constant pressure, process BA at constant volume, and process CB being adiabatic. The gas temperatures at states A, C, and B are given and the task is to calculate the total work for the cycle. Using the equations for work, the total work is found to be -2,127.3 J. However, the direction of the cycle and the contour followed should be clarified to ensure the accuracy of the answer.
rizardon

Homework Statement

Three moles of an ideal gas are taken around the cycle abc. For this gas, Cp= 29.1 J/mol K. Process ac is at constant pressure, process ba is at constant volume, and process cb is adiabatic. The temperatures of the gas in states a, c, and b are Ta= 300K, Tb= 490K, Tc= 600K. Calculate the total work W for the cycle.

Homework Equations

W=P(delta)V=nR(delta)T
W=-(delta)E=-nCv(delta)T

The Attempt at a Solution

Total work is the sum of the work done at each process

Total Work = Wac + Wcb + Wba

W at ac = isobaric process = nR(delta)T

W at cb = adiabatic process = -nCv(delta)T

W at ba = isochoric process, therefore W= 0

Cp = 29.1 = 3.5R so Cv = 2.5R = 20.8

Total Work = (3)(8.31)(190) - (3)(20.8)(110) + 0
= 4,736.7 - 6,864
= -2,127.3

I have to submit this for my homework, but I'm not sure if this is correct. Could you please check this for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
rizardon said:
Three moles of an ideal gas are taken around the cycle abc.

When a cycle is described as "ABC" I imagine they mean the process goes in the pattern A=>B=>C=>A, yet the way the rest of the problem unfolds is confusing to me.

rizardon said:
Process ac is at constant pressure, process ba is at constant volume, and process cb is adiabatic.

I feel like this describes the cycle A=>C=>B=>A, contradicting what I previously thought.

If you could clarify the way the cycle occurs that would be helpful, and also make sure the contour that you follow around the cycle is the way they want, or else you might end up with the wrong sign on your answer. (Work calculated on a pV diagram going left to right will be positive, right to left will be negative.)

Hope that helps

-MG

Related to Thermodynamics : Work in a Cyclic Process

What is work in a cyclic process?

Work in a cyclic process refers to the energy transfer that occurs when a system goes through a complete cycle and returns to its initial state. It is a measure of the mechanical energy that is converted into other forms during the cycle.

How is work related to thermodynamics?

Work is one of the fundamental concepts in thermodynamics, along with heat and energy. It is an important aspect of studying the behavior and changes in a thermodynamic system, and it can help us understand how energy is transferred and converted in different processes.

What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be transferred and converted from one form to another. This law is also known as the law of conservation of energy.

What is the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of an isolated system always increases over time. This means that in any natural process, there will always be some energy that is lost or dissipated, and the overall disorder of the system will increase.

How is work calculated in a cyclic process?

The work done in a cyclic process can be calculated by finding the area under the curve on a pressure-volume diagram. This is known as the work integral, and it represents the total energy transfer during the cycle. The work can also be calculated using the formula W = ∫PdV, where P is the pressure and dV is the change in volume.