Thevenin Equivalent Resistance

In summary, the OP is trying to solve a problem involving loop analysis and resistor combinations, but is having difficulty due to the way the circuit is designed.
jgv115

Homework Statement

zP88WtX.gif

Where R1 = 2.4k, R2 = 2.9k, Vs1=7V, Vs2=7v and Is = 4mA

For this circuit I need to find the Thevenin Equivalent resistance.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

*Just a heads up, all my loop analysis stuff is going clockwise*

I've tried everything to try to solve this problem but I still can't get it. Here's what I've tried:

To find Rth I need Voc and Isc.

So to find Voc I used superposition:

If I short circuit Vs1 and Vs2, I get Vo(1) = 2.4k * 4mA = 9.6V

If I open circuit Is and short circuit Vs2 and use loop analysis:

2.4k(i1) + 7 +2.9k(i1) = 0
Solving for i1 = -0.001321A
Therefore Vo(2) = 2.9k * i1 = 3.83V

Then I open circuit Is and short circuit Vs1 wouldn't Vo(3) just be Vs2 = 7V?

Am I on the right track or have I completely gone off course? Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
The other way to find Vth is to suppress all the sources and find the equivalent resistance looking into the network at the output terminals; you don't have to determine the short circuit current.

Hi gneill,

I've thought about doing that but because of the way the circuit is built, I don't quite understand which resistors are in series/parallel with other resistors.

Can you give me some tips/hints?

Notice that Vs1 and Vs2 "isolate" the top two loops from the bottom two loops.

Any current provided by Is flows only in Vs1 and Vs2; it can't reach the bottom resistors.

If you eliminate the top two resistors and Is, the behavior at the Vo terminals is unaffected; the Thevenin equivalent is the same with the top two loops gone, and that's an easier calculation.

A hint: The voltage sources keep the potential differences between the middle three nodes at fixed values. In other words, what's called a supernode is formed by those nodes. As luck would have it the two voltage sources have the same value! And with the way they're oriented, the leftmost node must always have the same potential as the rightmost (Vo). So they are electrically the same node! There's your opportunity to not only put some resistors in parallel, but to eliminate one of the voltage supplies completely :wink:

attachment.php?attachmentid=63103&stc=1&d=1382184273.gif

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    10.5 KB · Views: 494
gneill, may I ask what software you use to annotate the OP's image?

The Electrician said:
gneill, may I ask what software you use to annotate the OP's image?

Sure. I use an old version of Visio. I copy/paste to Visio, mark it up, then copy/paste to Paint to save it as a gif. (Visio can create gifs directly, but it uses a filter of some sort that is tedious to use. With paint there are no options, just "Save as". Actually takes much less time!)

Related to Thevenin Equivalent Resistance

What is Thevenin Resistance?

Thevenin Resistance is a concept in electrical engineering that represents the equivalent resistance of a complex network or circuit. It is used to simplify a circuit by replacing it with a single resistor and a voltage source.

How is Thevenin Resistance calculated?

Thevenin Resistance can be calculated by first removing all voltage sources and short-circuiting all current sources in the circuit. Then, the resistance between the two terminals of the circuit is measured. This resistance value is the Thevenin Resistance.

What is the purpose of finding Thevenin Resistance?

Finding Thevenin Resistance is useful in circuit analysis and design. It allows for complex circuits to be simplified, making it easier to analyze and understand their behavior. It also helps in determining the maximum power that can be delivered to a load in a circuit.

Can Thevenin Resistance be negative?

Yes, Thevenin Resistance can be negative. This occurs when the voltage source in the circuit is reversed, resulting in a negative equivalent resistance. This is commonly seen in circuits with diodes or transistors.

What are some limitations of Thevenin Resistance?

Thevenin Resistance assumes the circuit is linear and does not account for non-linear components. It also assumes that the behavior of the circuit is not affected by external factors such as temperature. Additionally, Thevenin Resistance is only applicable in DC circuits and may not accurately represent the behavior of AC circuits.