Thing Nearest to Physics in Engineering

In summary, if you're an Indian and want to become an engineer, you should choose a degree that is close to physics and focus on getting involved in professor's research or getting an applicable internship each and every year.
Amey Shukla
Made a account especially for this purpose. You see, I'm an Indian and the way the parent's mind work here is well Engineering = everything. If you get, a B.SC Degree you will remain a teacher or professor and would never be able to succeed. So. I'm having this issue, which degree I should choose which is very close to Physics. I'll later ofcourse am planing to have a Masters in Physics but for now help me pleazzzzz.p

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's the best list I've found as of yet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineering_physics

Generally, if you're not interested in staying in academia, but you do like physics, you can go for an applied physics degree.

I've also found that certain engineering courses incorporate a decent amount of physics into their curriculum, though it is usually not comprehensive. You might consider going for applied physics and taking as many physics + engineering courses as possible. At most universities, you have some flexibility to choose an educational plan for yourself while retaining the title of whatever degree you want, so long as you complete the core classes of your major. Keep in mind that many engineering classes have prerequisites, so you might have to take those as well.

More important than your degree is your experience. Try to get involved in a professor's research or get an applicable internship each and every year during your degree.

All engineering fields will involve physics to some extent. In these fields, physics is a means to an end, not an end in itself, though. If you like thermodynamics and fluid mechanics, then mechanical engineering and chemical engineering are good choices. If you like electromagnetism, then electrical engineering is a good choice.

Electrical engineering usually has the most physics and higher-level math then other the engineering fields.

Once you leave uni and hit the real work. Chemical Engineering is the most wanted and highest paid of all the disciplines and has a degree of physics, but prob Mechanical Engineering has the most in it day-to-day but only to a Newtonian level, such as Finite Element Analysis of CFD.

Engineering physics is the obvious choice if it's an option at your school. If not, electrical is probably closest and mechanical is next. Understand, though, that either one of those degrees can go in a lot of different directions. So while most of your peers might steer away from math/physics as much as possible, that doesn't mean you can't steer your degree towards the applied physics side of things. As you progress in your engineering degree, you'll see where physics shows up and where it doesn't, and you can start to specialize in the areas that interest you.

If you don't mind taking an extra semester or two to finish your degree, you could consider doing engineering with a minor in physics. Since you're interested in it, extra physics/math courses will augment your engineering degree nicely.

Related to Thing Nearest to Physics in Engineering

1. What is the thing nearest to physics in engineering?

The thing nearest to physics in engineering is mathematics. It is the foundation of many engineering principles and is used to describe and analyze physical phenomena.

2. Why is mathematics important in engineering?

Mathematics is important in engineering because it helps engineers understand and solve complex problems related to the design and construction of structures, machines, and systems. It also allows for precise calculations and predictions, leading to more efficient and effective designs.

3. How is mathematics used in different branches of engineering?

In mechanical engineering, mathematics is used to design and analyze engines, machines, and other mechanical systems. In civil engineering, it is used to design structures, roads, and bridges. In electrical engineering, it is used to design and analyze circuits and systems. In chemical engineering, it is used to understand and control chemical reactions and processes.

4. What are some examples of mathematical concepts used in engineering?

Some examples of mathematical concepts used in engineering include calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and statistics. These concepts are used to model and analyze physical systems, as well as to optimize designs and predict behavior.

5. How do engineers apply mathematics in real-world situations?

Engineers apply mathematics in real-world situations by using mathematical models to represent physical systems and by using mathematical tools and techniques to solve problems and make predictions. They also use computer software and programming to apply mathematical concepts to engineering designs and analyses.