Thinking about a career change to ChemE

In summary, the speaker, who has a BS in Chemistry and Mathematics, has been laid off from their job and is considering going back to graduate school for ChemE. However, they are hesitant due to potential student loans and wonder if graduate school for ChemE is free like other sciences. They are seeking information on how many and what undergraduate courses would be required to transition into ChemE. They suspect they may need courses in Thermodynamics, Process Engineering, ChemE Thermo, and Momentum/Heat/Mass Transfer, as well as potentially some general engineering courses. The specific requirements may vary depending on the school.
gravenewworld
So I have a BS in Chemistry and a BS in mathematics and just have been recently laid off from my job as a chemist at a pharmaceutical company. I have been thinking about going back to graduate school for ChemE. It seems right up my alley. The only thing is that I really don't want to have to go back and take out more student loans to take undergrad ChemE courses if I don't have to. Graduate school for ChemE should be free like it is for all the sciences right? If I were to go back to school for ChemE could anyone please fill me in as to how many and what undergrad courses I would have to take move into ChemE?

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is a question that would be best answered by the school you are looking at.

hmm... I suspect you would need some/all of the following..

Intro Thermodynamics
Process Engineering (Mass/Energy Balances)
ChemE Thermo (Advanced Thermodynamics)
Momentum/Heat/Mass Transfer (This would probably be covered in 2 courses, just depends on how the school divides it up).

These are all bread-and-butter courses for ChemE. You may be required to take some general engineering courses as well. For instance, Statics, Dynamics, Materials Science, Electrical Systems, etc.

I guess it all depends on the school though.

Related to Thinking about a career change to ChemE

1. What is the job outlook for Chemical Engineers?

The job outlook for Chemical Engineers is positive, with a projected growth rate of 4% from 2019-2029. This is about as fast as the average for all occupations. Chemical Engineers are in high demand in industries such as pharmaceuticals, energy, and materials manufacturing.

2. What skills are needed for a career in Chemical Engineering?

Chemical Engineers need a strong foundation in math and science, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. They also need to be detail-oriented, have strong communication skills, and be able to work well in a team. Knowledge of computer-aided design (CAD) software and programming languages is also beneficial.

3. How long does it take to become a Chemical Engineer?

Typically, it takes four years to earn a Bachelor's degree in Chemical Engineering. Some students may choose to pursue a Master's degree, which can take an additional two years. In total, it can take 6-8 years to become a Chemical Engineer.

4. What industries can Chemical Engineers work in?

Chemical Engineers have a wide range of industries to choose from, including pharmaceuticals, energy, biotechnology, materials manufacturing, food and beverage, and environmental engineering. They can also work in research and development, consulting, and government agencies.

5. What is the average salary for a Chemical Engineer?

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for Chemical Engineers was $108,770 in May 2020. However, salaries can vary depending on factors such as experience, location, and industry. Chemical Engineers with advanced degrees or specialized skills may also earn higher salaries.